Wireless G vs. 100ft cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidwinter

I have a wireless G system right now, Problem is around 11pm-1am for some reason My connection keeps dieing ever 10 min or so. I think its because someone in the neighborhood MIGHT be stealing my connection. I know I can screw around with the security options and fix it, but I also like to play alot of games and I was wondering if getting a real long network cable would be as good if not better?

Ethernet cable would be faster but the longer it is the more the signal slows down. 100' would still be faster than wireless 801.11g.

One good thing the speeds would be the same but you don't have to worry about people hacking your wireless connection if thats what you think is happening. Also if your connection is just dropping then you don't have to worry about that especially when you are playing games.

CrossFire851 said:
Around midnight it may be set to "re-new ip address" it can be switch to do so, once a month (etc).
this would be the MODEM being RENEWED by the ISP. This can happen on any schedule depending upon the need of the ISP to support more concurrent users. *IF* there's a population of users inactive and the pool of available IP addresses is going toward zero, the forced RENEW will reclaim all inactive addresses for reassignment. From my log, I see this about once a month.

Cable will be faster, more secure and more stable.

If it doesnt bother you, I would go for the cable. 100ft cable can cost around $50 though. Wireless over 100ft is not too good, will get at best a reasonable connection.

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back