Wireless issue

Help!

A couple of days ago I turned my Gateway laptop on and the wireless no longer connects to my wireless router. A search for wireless devices comes up empty. My wireless router works as I can connect my iPod touch to it. Tried connecting to my mobile phone with it's wifi hotspot (iPod touch picks this up too) with nothing.

I've tried flipping the wireless switch on and off multiple times as well as the Fn + F2 function to no avail.

I'm no IT guy and have limited computer knowledge. Best guess would be either a virus or wireless hardware issue.

Please help in Laymans terms.

As a first try at making your network adapter work, go into 'Control panel', 'Hardware' . 'Device manager'.
Go down the list to the 'Network adapters' entry.
If there is a choice, select the one with 802.11g in the line.
Right click on it and choose 'Uninstall'
Follow the menus and then reboot the Laptop.
As you get back to the Desktop again, you should see a notification, something along the lines of, 'Windows has detected new hardware and is installing drivers for it'.
It should then work as before.

Tried

Listed under "Network Adapters"
-Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
-Marvell Yukon 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I uninstalled the WiFi link to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

How the heck does the wireless just "stop" working? I'm puzzled! Wireless router works, Wireless light shows it's on.:confused:

Somewhere on your wireless router, usually near the power on button, will be a small 'reset' hole. 1mm size.
With the router on, push a paper clip or similar into the reset, hold it there, 'till all the lights on the router go out, then back on again, about 10 seconds in my case.
You may find that's all it needs.

That was one of the first things I tried along with reseting the router.

For some reason I don't think the problem is with the router-laptop because the laptop doesn't pick up ANY wireless signal. I've tried a couple different hotspots.

This sucks!

You said you uninstalled the wireless driver, but did you try and download and install the newest driver for your model of laptop?

Drivers sometimes stop working or can get messed up.

I would suggest downloading the newest driver from the manufacturer's website for your laptop.

Back