Wireless mouse erratic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a wired Dell mouse that has worked fine for years. I decided I wanted to use a wireless mouse.

When I put the wireless receiver on my desktop and use the mouse on the desktop it works fine (with the wired mouse still plugged in).

When I put the wireless mouse on the mouse tray next to my keyboard and slighly below my desk, it work erracticly UNLESS I keep my wired mouse next to it (and plugged in)

If I remove the wired mouse, the wireless mouse will not work when the receiveer is on top of my computer, which is underneath my desk, and my mouse is on the mouse tray (also under the desktop), which is my preferred position for the mouse. I don't want to use it on my desktop as it's uncomfoprtable there.

Any suggestions?

3 suggestions

Name your cordless mouse.
Read the cordless manual for installing.
Remove original mouse from port and plug it in there.
Haveing 2 is confuseing Windows Hardware.
? Did it include a cd ?
? Did you send a signal from the mouse to the transmitter ?
Please answer all above to continue.
:D

Name your cordless mouse.
--Targus 5-button rechargeable
Read the cordless manual for installing.
--Done completely before I posted
Remove original mouse from port and plug it in there.
--Can't. Original mouse doesn't use USB; wireless does.
Haveing 2 is confuseing Windows Hardware.
--That's what I thought, but wireless mouse acts erracticaaly ONLY when it is below the desktop level and NOT next to the wired mouse. Alos acts erracticly when I disconnect the wired mouse or when I put the receiver on my computer underneath the desk where mouse platform is. By erractic I mean it seems to "stick." It won't move smoothly but in a jerky fashion.
? Did it include a cd ?
--No
? Did you send a signal from the mouse to the transmitter ?
--Yes, its sychronization was a bit flaky but finally did synchronize.

What puzzles me is why it works fine below the desk when the transmitter is ON the desk but ONLY when the wired mouse is plugged in and next to it below the desk.

Meanwhile, I'm going to again charge the batteries as I didn't have the power options set to never re hibernating when I charged the batteries, but I think they are fully charged.

With some cordless devices you can change the operating frequency. As to the corded mouse item, it is probably propogating the signal through the cord.

What i thought

where did you plug in your non usb mouse ? Does your new one have a
converter to make it non usb ? Logitech recommends this for desktops,usb for Laptops.
? Are you useing high quality Alkaline batteries ? You can only judge
performance after installing brand new batteries.Then go to Control Panel/Mouse
and check it's settings.
But finding the right locations should be "problem Solved "
Is it ?
:)

OS is XP, browser is IE 7.

I bought a converter to plug the USB into the PS/2 port. Didn't work at all. Tried resynchronizing, and when that didn't work, I shut down, plugged it in again and re-booted. That didn't work either. Then when I plugged in my wired mouse, it didn't work either -- until I rebooted.

You mentioned settings. What should those setting be?

My guess

Your cordless is had it's time if you have good quality new batteries
and a PS2 connection.Be satisfied with the one that works.
A new cordless Mouse and Keyboard are very cheap now.
I recommend Logitech.

Quote :
You mentioned settings. What should those setting be?
See attached.It doesn't want to attach.
Go to Control Panel/Mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back