Wireless network connection trouble

LindaO

PC: Compaq Laptop Intel Dual CPU 2.00GHz
Network Adapters: Atherose AR5007 WiFi Adapter Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter
Wireless Router: Belkin

Trouble:
In normal windows start up with wireless router on and internet connected. The system will run very slow, sluggish, programs will hang or not open ( not responding ). This includes the task manager. Browsers will not open or operate normally. The system will not operate normally. If you press the WiFi connection button on the laptop next to the power button it will turn from blue ( on ) to orange ( off ) then will turn right back on by it's self will not stay off.

Have tried:
I have started the system in Safe Mode with Networking. The system runs normally, programs open, close, browsers operate normally and the WiFi connection button operates normally.
Note; I have another laptop that uses the Belkin wireless router with no trouble.

I have shut off Avast Antivirus and Zone Alarm Firewall ( eventually uninstalled Zone Alarm ).

Went to the Device Manager and updated, Disabled and Enabled Network Adapters restarting OS of course. No help. I have deleted the Belkin Wireless Network Connection restarted the OS then created a new connection. No help.

I have posted in the Forums thinking it was a Virus, Trojan or other.
Nothing was found and was referred to this section of the Forum.

Any suggestions?
Thanks Linda

programs will hang or not open ( not responding ). This includes the task manager. Browsers will not open or operate normally. The system will not operate normally.
hmm, that sounds like other issues than just WiFi - - did someone have you run the standalone MSRT?

No. I have followed Broni instructions at https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/infection-from-trojan-spyware-or-not.183697/ nothing found. I just ran the MSRT nothing found.

It's definitely something to do with connection to the net. The system will even play games and operates normally with out the internet connection. Even plugging the DSL Ethernet connection directly from the ISP providers box produces the same effects. Both operate ( Belkin Router and Ethernet connection ) on my other laptop just fine.

The only thing that comes to mind for system slow down is "Steam" game engine. It was not compatible with the graphics driver and slowed the system down on start up. It was uninstalled.

The system has experienced a blue screen crash several times in the last month and once again last night. I'm stumped what to look for next. I s it possible for drivers related to the WiFi connection to become corrupt? I thought to try deleting them in the Device Manager, reboot and try re installing them. I have no Windows Restore Points or Windows Install CD as this was purchased used from a local computer shop months ago. Thanks Linda

Well it's possible the problem was Avast Anti Virus. Perhaps it was corrupt. I have uninstalled it and restarted the system. Plugged in the Ethernet connection then the WiFi using Belkin router. Everything is operating normally. I'm going to re install Avast then Zone Alarm to see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

I installed Avast again and the system is running normally again. Perhaps it was corrupt some how. I have turned on Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. I will leave it at that and not install Zone Alarm. Thanks again for all your assistance.

Back