Wireless Network trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtimmmyx

I just had a wireless network set up in the past couple of days. It was all goodie twoshoes until i tried to download a large file(a UT2004 map pack, and the Java Development Toolkit to be exact). While downloading the wireless adapter how you say... stops transmitting? It says it still connected, but the internet completely cuts out. And in the end i have to totally restart my download after unplugging the Wireless usb adapter, and restarting the netgear software, then plugging it back up. This is a big pain, especially for someone who is in the web design business, and is looking to learn java to further increase his ability to design good websites. It also happens when im uploading large amounts of content to my server for my website.

Oh i just had to restart my thing AGAIN while typing this... grrr.

hmm maybe... i tried it and my internet came back up and all, but im not sure how long itll stay up. we'll see, ill repost tonight.

lousy wireless piece of... nevermind. No, unfortunately that didnt work for some reason. Totally a bummer. im sick of it going out every 10 minutes - 30 seconds.

hile downloading the wireless adapter how you say... stops transmitting? It says it still connected, but the internet completely cuts out.

Since your adapter claims to be connected wirelessly still, it sounds like your router or modem may be losing its connection... Not your wireless card. Are there any other computers connected to your wireless setup? Maybe the next time you are disconnected, you can check for Internet connectivity using another a computer to verify it is the router or modem.

If you believe it is the wireless card/adapter, you should try updating the drivers and (possibly) firmware for it, as these are two of the few things you can actually do which could make a difference.

Routers dropping connections is very common. 'Home' and SOHO equipment is often built very carelessly. I"m convinced no one Q&As this crap. :)

xtimmmyx said:
I just had a wireless network set up in the past couple of days. It was all goodie twoshoes until i tried to download a large file(a UT2004 map pack, and the Java Development Toolkit to be exact). While downloading the wireless adapter how you say... stops transmitting? It says it still connected, but the internet completely cuts out.
this can be a bandwidth issue. Your ISP can actually limit the amount of data
downloaded in any given time period -- it's called QoS throddling. if you need
large downloads, then do them only one at a time and just be patient.
the server is being throddled at the limit, but will resume when sufficient time has lapsed.

thanks everyone, i finally got it working consistantly. Now i have another issue. How can i make another computer thats connected to this comp via ethernet, connect ot the internet THREW this comp which is using USB for internet.

thanks Rick

thanks rick for the resource help. but when i tried to enable ICS i got this error message:

A error occured while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.

ICS cannot be enabled.
A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address
that is required for automatic IP addressing.

Any ideas? I have static IP's set up yes, but they are 192.168.0.12 and .11 those arent used for that are they?

Your modem must also act as a router (since it is wireless, this makes sense). Its default address is probably 192.168.0.1.

The best solution would be to get a wireless card for your other computer. They are very inexpensive (Less than $30 at a lot of stores for something OK) and if you get a USB wireless card, they can be very easy to install.

As a USB modem, we wouldn't normally have to worry about 192.168.0.1 being taken. But I bet you have your wireless on, so your computer is connected to the router wirelessly as well as USB. Disable or turn off your wireless card.

ICS should now be usable.

Client [192.168.0.X] --> ICS Host [192.168.0.1] /w USB modem <--> Interweb [IPs assigned by ISP]

I Think i may have slightly been misunderstood...
My modem isnt connected wirelessly as well as using USB, its not even really a modem. Its a Wireless USB adapter. Meaning its a 3 1/2 inch long 1 inch wide boxlike thing that plugs into a USB port and gives me internet that is routed from the modem in another place in the house.

Now i have another computer next to the one using the USB adapter that is networked threw ethernet with the computer that has internet. I want to enable ICS so that computer will have the internet aswell.

Oh, okay.

Internet = Modem w/ integrated wireless or stand-alone DSL/Cable modem?
Wireless = Modem w/ integrated wireless or stand-alone wireless router?
PC-1 (ICS host): USB Wireless adapter --> Wireless router
PC-2 (ICS client): USB Ethernet adapter --> Not currently connected

The most elegant solution still probably stands as this.
The best solution would be to get a wireless card for your other computer. They are very inexpensive (Less than $30 at a lot of stores for something OK) and if you get a USB wireless card, they can be very easy to install.

Equipment preparation:
Connecting PCs directly using a regular 'straight through' network cable doesn't usually work. You may need to purchase a special 'cross over' cable or cross over adapter. Otherwise, you'll need to connect your PCs using a hub/switch or router.

To test whether or not your current setup works or not, assign IP address to each of the computers on the same subnet (probably like you have it setup already). The first one might be 192.168.0.10 and the second computer might be 192.168.0.11 for example. Then try to ping the other computer. You can do this by clicking on Start > Run and entering the command CMD. Press enter and a terminal will pop up. Type ping IPADDRESS and press enter. IPADDRESS will be the IP address of the computer you'd like to ping. If you get a response, you're in business. If you get something that says no host found or another error message, then it probably won't work and you're going to need a crossover cable or hub/switch (preferably). Keep in mind that things like firewalls can make this more difficult than it should be, so disable any software firewalls you have on the computers.

Why ICS doesn't work
With that out of the way, the reason you can't use ICS is because the IP is taken... as you know. The reason the IP is taken is because your router/modem uses the default IP address of 192.168.0.1. Since ICS will only work if the host computer has an address of 192.168.0.1, so we need to change the IP address of your router.

Router/modem login
If you visit 192.168.0.1 in your web browser, you can enter your wireless router configuration utility (It's a web interface). Every router is totally different, but you should be looking for an option to change the IP address of the router. You will probably be prompted for a user name and password. This is usually admin / admin or admin / password by default. You may need to consult your manual or tech support for questions about your router, but you're welcome to ask here too.

Change your router's IP address
What we can try to do is change the router IP address to something like 192.168.0.2 - instead of 192.168.0.1 - so it does not conflict with your ICS host computer. Most routers support changing their IPs. Once the IP is changed, you'll lose Internet connectivity until you change your network settings on your ICS host computer. We'll change your settings to this, assuming you used 192.168.0.2 for your router's new IP address:

ICS Host Computer
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.2
DNS Server: 192.168.0.2

Wireless Router
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Gateway: (Automatically provided by your ISP)
DNS Server: (Automatically provided by your ISP)

ICS Client Computer
IP Address: 192.168.0.10
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

If it doesn't work...
Once your host computer setup, try to get online. If it doesn't work, restart your router/modem and give it a minute. Restart the computer and give it another shot. It should work. If for whatever reason you cannot get back online, you should be able to do a 'hard reset' on your modem/router by holding in the reset button. It's usually a small, recessed button on the bottom, back or side of the unit. You may need to hold it in for about 5 seconds or you may need to unplug the modem/router, hold in the button and plug it back in while you continue to hold it in for several seconds. Other times a quick poke will do it. A hard reset resets all of your modem/router's back to factory defaults (including WEP keys, PPPOE login, IP address etc.) and you should be able to get online again. You'll need to change your ICS host IP address to something else again... Remember, this number conflicts with your default router/modem IP, so we'll need to change after the reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back