Wiring queries

TheDevopsGuy

Hi,

Currently my modem/router both have gigabit ports available. Im using a pre patched cable by my isp which is cat5e but for whatever reason I cannot force it to go to gigabit. If I do so from windows/force negotiation connection drops.

Can I assume either the patched cables are crap or theyre just not really cat5e? Labeling says so but u can never trust cheap cables, I’m guessing Isp cheaped out.

If you force it, it has to be hard set the same on both sides. Your description suggests a possible cable issue. Let me know if you get it figured out. I assume you are using a Mikrotik of some flavor.

If you force it, it has to be hard set the same on both sides. Your description suggests a possible cable issue. Let me know if you get it figured out. I assume you are using a Mikrotik of some flavor.
Forcing Microtik gigabit uplinked to an unmanaged switch on gigabit port. Cant change anything switch side

Will check after work. Asked some colleagues which handle infrastructure seems it could be issue of cat5e not supporting this long run. Its Aprox 50m. That or the termination is not good. if thats the case I can hopefully re-terminate them with something more decent then the current one.

ALL ethernet should be able to perform to 100m -- well maybe not 10T2 (aka 10Base2)

Back