With more Apple Silicon-powered Macs inbound, the iMac Pro gets discontinued

Joe White

In brief: Apple has confirmed that the iMac Pro will be discontinued when supplies run out. According to the company, the 27-inch iMac is the preferred option for most professional iMac customers and those who need more power can jump to Apple’s high-end Mac Pro. All of these systems are expected to be upgraded to Arm-based silicon in the near future however.

Apple has quietly added a “while supplies last” label to the iMac Pro product page, and also disabled upgrade options for the computer. MacRumors reached out to Apple, who confirmed that when iMac Pro supplies run out, the computer will indeed be no more.

Apple said that its 27-inch iMac is now the preferred option for pro-level iMac users. These ship with six- and eight-core 10th gen Intel processors and 8GB off the shelf, but are upgradable to a 10-core CPU and 128GB RAM. Customers looking for even more power and expandability have the option of choosing Apple’s Mac Pro tower desktop PC that starts at $5,999.

Also read: Apple M1: Why It Matters

Of course, it’s worth remembering that the iMac line is due an Apple Silicon upgrade soon. The revamped model is also said to borrow from the design of Apple’s high-end Pro Display XDR. It’s rumored for release later this year, so anyone planning on picking up a new iMac might be advised to hold off for now.

Permalink to story.

I love iPhone and Applewatch but I can’t buy their MacBooks and macs cause the countdown to obsolescence is always ticking too fast.

Well yeah, nobody buys a Mac to play games. I'm nominally a Mac person but when I started playing games, I switched to a PC for that.
Even beyond gaming, Apple has screwed customers over the years to the point it's barely ethical to stay on Mac devices for productivity, don't even get me started about Audio industry and the expensive interface boxes people need to run because they like to abandon standards like they are going out of style, it's not hard to hit up youtube listening to a ton of music professionals complaining but just refuse to make the jump away because they don't want to learn a new software interface for engineering.
Mac's had their place and time, it's been long gone, when a company prides itself on engineering and can't seem to figure out air inlets need a filter, it's time to jump ship.

Well yeah, nobody buys a Mac to play games. I'm nominally a Mac person but when I started playing games, I switched to a PC for that.
I've been around long enough for every transition. Motorola 68K -> PowerPC -> Intel -> ARM / Apple Silicon. And how about standards? They introduce new, and take away the old. Where did FireWire and Thunderbolt 2 go? I realize I can't run Windows 10 on my first PC, a 486, but Apple makes a habit of making the consumer upgrade their computer or mobile device about every five years. They are a hardware company, and that's how they make their money. Microsoft, they are a software company, which is why I have been able to run XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 on the same eleven year old system. And, in the long run, it has been cheaper to stick with Microsoft.

"Apple’s Mac Pro tower desktop PC that starts at $5,999." <--- Six grand for the base model. Hilarious.

I've been around long enough for every transition. Motorola 68K -> PowerPC -> Intel -> ARM / Apple Silicon. And how about standards? They introduce new, and take away the old. Where did FireWire and Thunderbolt 2 go? I realize I can't run Windows 10 on my first PC, a 486, but Apple makes a habit of making the consumer upgrade their computer or mobile device about every five years. They are a hardware company, and that's how they make their money. Microsoft, they are a software company, which is why I have been able to run XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 on the same eleven year old system. And, in the long run, it has been cheaper to stick with Microsoft.
Apple can only stay alive by locking people into their closed ecosystem and then convince them to upgrade their overpriced hardware frequently. If people started hanging onto their iPhones and iMacs for 5+ years Apple would be dead in the water.

"Apple’s Mac Pro tower desktop PC that starts at $5,999." <--- Six grand for the base model. Hilarious.

With a two gen old RX580 that used to cost $200 when you could buy them, a 8 core CPU, 256 of Storage and 32GB of RAM there is nothing pro about their base model. They should have just sold the case, CPU cooler, motherboard, and power supply as a unit for the base model at a reasonable price rather than a terrible computer for $6000.

I bought a 3090 I bought through EVGA's program at MSRP for $2000, a 5950X I got for $900, a nice motherboard for $350, 64GB of RAM for $400, 2TB of storage for $300, the case and power supply were around $400 total around $4350, which now that I put it all together blows my mind, but what a computer! It's more than twice the computer the $6000 Mac Pro is for $1700 less.

Even beyond gaming, Apple has screwed customers over the years to the point it's barely ethical to stay on Mac devices for productivity, don't even get me started about Audio industry and the expensive interface boxes people need to run because they like to abandon standards like they are going out of style, it's not hard to hit up youtube listening to a ton of music professionals complaining but just refuse to make the jump away because they don't want to learn a new software interface for engineering.
Mac's had their place and time, it's been long gone, when a company prides itself on engineering and can't seem to figure out air inlets need a filter, it's time to jump ship.

What audio interface standard did they drop which requires an expensive new box? Last time I checked anything USB, TB1/2/3 or PCIE works on some form of current Mac, with TB2/1 and FireWire usable with £50 adapters.

TB2 and FireWire work on all current Macs with a £50 adapter for the former and a £25 for the latter.

I've been around long enough for every transition. Motorola 68K -> PowerPC -> Intel -> ARM / Apple Silicon. And how about standards? They introduce new, and take away the old. Where did FireWire and Thunderbolt 2 go?

TB2 is adapted to TB3 with a cheap adapter, the consortium just changed the shape. TB3 is faster, so I don't know why anyone would argue for retaining TB2. And FW is an even worse example. It was a good standard for its day but was quickly matched by USB2 and surpassed by USB3 as USB is more widely available and cheaper to implement. Win-win and USB3 is available on Macs. That the common connector situation of USB3 & TB is an utter CF, well that's up to those loser governing bodies.

What audio interface standard did they drop which requires an expensive new box? Last time I checked anything USB, TB1/2/3 or PCIE works on some form of current Mac, with TB2/1 and FireWire usable with £50 adapters.
Pro audio is a different beast and there have been different interfaces over the years, if you want a rundown on it Rick Beato as well as other youtubbers have already treaded this time and time again so I won't explain it here and beat a dead horse, alot of those adapters were no longer supported for add in cards in more modern MacOS updates so newer extension boxes are required that are incredibly expensive.
Just a note though legacy gear is usually well loved and incredibly expensive, personally I could never use the Mac as it lacks compatibility with older Interfaces with old to modern CNC and Mill machines and paying 3-5k for a Mac versus buying a PC for much less that can do more and has a range of PCIe adapters that are plug and play with no BS is priceless and well one does not just throw out a 200k fast action mill or 1/4 to million dollar machine because you have an attachment to a specific brand of computer.

Edit because autotype is a pita.

Last edited:
I get the 'Apple just works' for the media folks, but with a little research, you can build a Windows PC that'll do the job, cost less, and for far longer.

Back