Wiz Khalifa dethrones Psy, lays claim to the most-viewed YouTube video of all-time

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s been nearly five years since South Korean viral sensation Psy dethroned Justin Bieber for the most-viewed video crown. Psy’s hit music video for the song “Gangnam Style” passed Bieber’s video for “Baby” at around the 800 million mark and has surprisingly held the top spot ever since.

That all changed this week, however, as the music video for Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth’s “See You Again” has knocked Psy from the top of the mountain.

As of writing, the Wiz Khalifa track – a tribute to the late Paul Walker of The Fast and Furious fame – has 2,900,093,596 views on YouTube versus 2,895,628,065 for Psy’s hit. The passing of the baton took place on July 10 at 5:30 p.m. Eastern, we’re told.

What’s perhaps most impressive is the fact that Wiz Khalifa’s touching video was uploaded on April 6, 2015, meaning it took just a little over two years to tally 2.9 billion views. That’s pretty incredible.

Bieber’s track now resides in third place with around 2.63 billion views followed by “Uptown Funk” from Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars and “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee. Taylor Swift, Enrique Iglesias, Maroon 5, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift (again) round out the top 10 music videos (in that order).

Remarkably enough, all of the top-10 music videos now have over two billion views each.

Permalink to story.

"Gangnam Style" - Much catchier tune. Not even close in this respect.

"See You Again" - More culturally relevant and thus hits a lot of people in the feels.

Thus, the top spot goes to Wiz. Feels = money (views).

Both retarded tunes... represent why we are slaves on this Earth... slaves of the "easy way"

I would attribute a bit of those views to the fact that Paul Walker AND Fast and the Furious have a lot of fans. Along with the tune being catchy, the video shows two other cultural icons. I'm curious how long it took for each video to reach the top spot.

Well if those are actually the top 10 YouTube video's from the internet connected portion of humanity, all I can say is I am saddened about the state of music (and I use that term loosely)

These numbers are meaningless, considering YouTube openly inflates them on the basis of their relationships with media companies. The details of those relationships are private.

So Warner Bros. Records could possibly say this music video aired on a tv show with an average viewership of a million, so increment our view count by a million. Or there could be even more disingenuous ways for numbers to be inflated. This was how YouTube won over VEVO and record labels who initially resisted music videos being available on their platform.

These numbers are meaningless, considering YouTube openly inflates them on the basis of their relationships with media companies. The details of those relationships are private.

So Warner Bros. Records could possibly say this music video aired on a tv show with an average viewership of a million, so increment our view count by a million. Or there could be even more disingenuous ways for numbers to be inflated. This was how YouTube won over VEVO and record labels who initially resisted music videos being available on their platform.
You're putting way too much thought into this. The real topic should be what this says about our current "music" culture.

Last edited:
"The passing of the baton took place on July 10 at 5:30 p.m. Eastern, we’re told."

And not a single **** was given on that day...

I prefer #16. The wheels on the bus.

The honesty of the lyrics is a rare commodity these days.

Back