Wonder if this is why there's a 40nm shortage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red1776

I have no idea if this is reliable....but its fun to look at, ......thought i would go a little Fudzilla

bheg.jpg

The reason there is a shortage is solely linked to the demand... since the manufacturer can produce however many they want in a relatively short time. The HD5000 series is still brand new, and I only know a few people that are actually upgrading at the time. there are only a few DX11 games on the market that can use these new card's potential and even so the the high-end models are wayyy up there in price range at the moment... which of course steers most enthusiasts away. I have no problem waiting a little while, especially if AMD is already releasing the 5890 so soon which defeats the purpose of the 5870 even being manufactured. Is that why there is a shortage of 40nm GPUs? Not likely, but since they are launching the 5890 in Q1, they might be smart to monitor sales and limit supply.

EDIT: There are more HD 5870 units available on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121346

The reason there is a shortage is solely linked to the demand...

well I was half joking and having a spot of fun.....I am still waiting to see if my collusion theory is true and see if the 40nm shortage is 'resolved' right around Fermi's release. I am waiting for the various vendors to get some 5870's to see what they do with various cooling solutions.

Possible, but i don't think ATI would want to miss this opportunity to deal a severe blow to Nvidia by trying to eke out some higher margins now. I guess the proof will be to see what happens to prices/availability as soon as the next gen Nvidia cards hit the market or the 5890 comes online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back