WordPad Loads Slowly

I'm using a Nitro AN515-42 Laptop and Windows 10 Version 1903.

This started about a month ago. Whenever I open a document through WordPad, it takes anywhere from 10-15 seconds for it to open. The file size doesn't matter - even single line documents have this issue. I don't have this problem with any other app or program on my computer. I've tried looking for ways to reset or reinstall WordPad, but I can't find it in my Apps & Features or Programs. At worst, it's just a minor inconvenience but I'd really like to get it working smoothly again as I use it so often.

Any help is appreciated.

Standard Microsoft MVP response: `sfc /scannow` (from an administrator command prompt). https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Beyond that, if you copy wordpad.exe to a new directory and rename it, does the problem go away? If so it's probably an external process monkeying with it, if not, the process could have been modified in some way. Is wordpad the only process that experiences these 10 second delays?

Regardless of the outcome of the above I'd check for viruses, but sfc is probably the most likely tool to fix it - could be font related or something wordpad depends on. Also uninstall any programs, fonts or utilities that you don't need.

If the problem persists after all that I'd get a techie to look over it - it's time to dig into system hooks with autoruns.

Standard Microsoft MVP response: `sfc /scannow` (from an administrator command prompt). https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Beyond that, if you copy wordpad.exe to a new directory and rename it, does the problem go away? If so it's probably an external process monkeying with it, if not, the process could have been modified in some way. Is wordpad the only process that experiences these 10 second delays?

Regardless of the outcome of the above I'd check for viruses, but sfc is probably the most likely tool to fix it - could be font related or something wordpad depends on. Also uninstall any programs, fonts or utilities that you don't need.

If the problem persists after all that I'd get a techie to look over it - it's time to dig into system hooks with autoruns.
Unfortunately, neither sfc nor copying wordpad.exe helped. Antivirus also checked out. Yes, Wordpad is the only process that is delayed. I have no problems opening far more rigorous and demanding programs. I can even open up Chrome, Firefox and Edge in the time I'm waiting for Wordpad to load. One thing I did is notice that sometimes files will open right away if I close them and reopen them immediately. I could reopen a ten page file in a split second, then a blank new document will take 10 seconds to open.

I have the same problem.

Did you ever figure out how to solve it?

Thanks.
Ryzen 5 5600X, MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk, 32 GB G Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3600, EVGA FTW3 GeForce RTX 3080, Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 PLUS, Windows 10 Pro X64

Hmm....

Did you change the default font?

If so change it back to the standard system font (Arial I think)...

Hmm....

Did you change the default font?

If so change it back to the standard system font (Arial I think)...

When I go to Font settings, I selected 'Restore Default Font Settings'.
Still have that ~10 second delay in Wordpad.

All the language settings are set to English (United States).

EDIT: Just did some more googling and I ran into this thread: WordPad Opens Slowly But Instantly When Network Adapter is Disabled - Microsoft Community
"The only way for WordPad to open instantly was to disable the Network Adapter".
That works on my end too!
Of course, I would rather wait the 10 seconds than be offline.. looks like he never came up with an alternate solution.
So odd..

Last edited:
It was the default windows drivers for my 'Network Discoverable - Wireless Brother Printer'. I removed the device and installed again using the official drivers from Brother. WordPad now opens instantly!

Weird thing is, the 'Microsoft IPP Class Driver' still printed out documents no problem. Perhaps it just took longer to 'discover' the network printer?!

Last edited:
It was the default windows drivers for my 'Network Discoverable - Wireless Brother Printer'. I removed the device and installed again using the official drivers from Brother. WordPad now opens instantly!

Weird thing is, the 'Microsoft IPP Class Driver' still printed out documents no problem. Perhaps it just took longer to 'discover' the network printer?!
Holy crap! I created an account just to say thanks for this - this was my EXACT problem with a Brother MFC-L5800DW

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chip in, since this has been a problem for me for a while. I can wait 20 seconds for a very small (< 1KB) csv or text file to open in Wordpad.

My eyebrows went up when I read "Wireless Brother Printer"...because I have one of those printers in my office at work. That would be QUITE a coincidence!

I removed that printer, and that fixed it. No more delays.

Totally bizarre -- what on earth is that printer setup doing? But removing it fixed the problem for me too.

Glad I found this thread! Thanks for posting your solution!

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chip in, since this has been a problem for me for a while. I can wait 20 seconds for a very small (< 1KB) csv or text file to open in Wordpad.

My eyebrows went up when I read "Wireless Brother Printer"...because I have one of those printers in my office at work. That would be QUITE a coincidence!

I removed that printer, and that fixed it. No more delays.

Totally bizarre -- what on earth is that printer setup doing? But removing it fixed the problem for me too.

Glad I found this thread! Thanks for posting your solution!
who would have though that removing a brother printer fixes the issue with wordpad taking a minute to load after doing sfc dsim

I just removed my HP Officejet Pro 8610 Printer driver and that fixed my same issue. So it appears to not just be limited to Brother Printers.

This helped me fix my problem BUT .... this means that anytime I want to use my printer I have to reinstall it, correct? So its a workaround but not really a full solution.

My solution:
- open Printers and Scanners panel (Win-I -> Devices -> Printers & Scanners)
- disable "Let Windows manage my default printer"
...and you're done!

Hope this helps people struggling since long time ago! :D

Back