Workers at Wistron iPhone plant in India riot over unfair pay

Joe White

What just happened? Workers at an iPhone production facility in India are said to have engaged in a mass riot on Saturday, damaging furniture, assembly units, and vehicles. According to early reports, employees at the plant – which is operated by Apple's assembly partner Wistron – claim that they are not being paid the wages which they were originally promised.

The plant in question is based in Narasapura and is operated by Wistron, a Taiwan-based company which manufactures iPhones at the facility. A significant majority of the plant’s 2,000 workers are said to have engaged in the mass riot, which involved destroying assembly units and setting fire to vehicles.

The cause of the dispute, according to The Times of India, is pay – the bottom line being that employees aren’t being paid what they were told they’d receive.

An unnamed employee explained: “While an engineering graduate was promised Rs 21,000 per month, his/her salary had reduced to Rs 16,000 and, subsequently, to Rs 12,000 in the recent months. Non-engineering graduates’ monthly salary had reduced to Rs 8,000. The salary amount being credited to our accounts have been reducing and it was frustrating to see this.”

Videos depicting rioting workers destroying Wistron property have been surfacing online. Although it’s not known if anyone has been injured or attacked during the riot, employees are said to have attacked the offices of senior executives. As of writing, neither Wistron nor Apple have commented on the situation.

Permalink to story.

I feel we should all weigh in here bashing Apple without knowing any of the information.... yep... let's get on that :)

Seriously! What else do we need to know?
How about answers to the following two questions:

a) Were the workers actually treated unfairly? I.e. were wages reduced without fair warning and reason?
b) Assuming (a), was Apple even aware of the situation?

In a society of law, we don't just pick up a pitchfork and torch at the first allegation of wrongdoing. A more sober, measured approach is best for all involved.

How about answers to the following two questions:

a) Were the workers actually treated unfairly? I.e. were wages reduced without fair warning and reason?
b) Assuming (a), was Apple even aware of the situation?

In a society of law, we don't just pick up a pitchfork and torch at the first allegation of wrongdoing. A more sober, measured approach is best for all involved.
If we would pick up a pitchfork and torch at the first allegation of wrongdoing, there would not be any wrongdoers :D

That's funny

It might work in India (not sure) but it definitely doesn't work in the U.S.

In the U.S., the "Law" is irrelevant due to the fact that it is administered by Criminals who ignore the evidence as well as the "Law" and protect Co-Conspirators

That's why we had 911

Let me correct you. "Welcome to doing business with Apple."
Wistron is not Apple. Wouldn't you prefer to judge the situation logically, rather than emotionally? I would bet anything that, of the many hundreds of items you have in your own home now, you likely know little to nothing about the labor practices of the companies who produced them. And yet you bought them anyway ... are you not therefore as culpable as them?

Seems like bad strategy to me. Couldn't they just walk out and went on strike and try to work out an agreement? Not saying they didn't try. It say in the article. But it seems they just got angry and went apeshit. The company, based on the article, were clearly wrong. I didn't know Apple had a store in N. Korea.

Back