Would like to dual boot XP along with 2000 SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings and thanks for your help:)
I come to you today as a novice computer user in need of some step by step assistance.
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would consider my Windows knowledge at about a 4

I currently running Windows 2000 SP4 on one partition in my computer
my total disk space is 127 GB
my Used Space 21.5 GB (Holding Windows 2000)
my free space is 106 GB

I have a legal Windows Pro XP disc, and would like to install it on the same hard drive in a dual-boot capacity along with my existing Windows 2000 operating system.

With this large amount of disc space available (106 GB) what would you suggest I create the new XP partition at?

It has been a few years since I have installed a Windows OS so would you be so kind as to outline in a step by step manor the procedure for installing XP in a dual-boot capacity
with out formatting the partition that my current windows 2000 is residing on?

I intend of course on backing up the Windows 2000 before working with partitions
but I do not want to loose data from the Windows 2000 in order to accomplish this task.

Thank you for any assistance you may offer in advance, and I will check back often
in case you should have any further questions, your help would be very much appreciated.
............Johnny

Unless you are very skilled, you will need to install Windows XP first, and then, when set up, you can re-install Windows 2000
It is just too difficult to add Windows XP to the Windows 2000 install because XP just doesn't tolerate it well enough for you to struggle through the fight that XP will give you.

Unless you are very skilled, you will need to install Windows XP first, and then, when set up, you can re-install Windows 2000
It is just too difficult to add Windows XP to the Windows 2000 install because XP just doesn't tolerate it well enough for you to struggle through the fight that XP will give you.
@raybay
It is just so easy to add Windows XP to the Windows 2000 install because MS designed it that way. Remember? Windows 2000 came first. Then XP.

Just install XP into its own partition and XP installer should do the rest (including updating the boot loader to provide you a dual boot choice at startup)

Thanks for replying to my thread.
Well,After doing some reading and careful consideration I have
ditched the idea of dual-booting and just saved bookmarks in my email
save my program sources THEN clicked format and went with XP solo.

Having two operating systems would be great for someone working with
graphics or video I have no need to keep up with two O/Ss.

I am glad I found this forum and have it book marked for later reading
have a great day/night............Johnny

A wise move, as Windows XP retains all the good parts of the world series... We cannot afford them if they lose once more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back