Would my system bottleneck a Radeon 4850 512mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

14 of a hotdog

My cpu is an
Athlon 64 5600+ Windsoar 2.8ghz x2
128kb l1 cache x2
1mb l2 cache x2

my motherboard is a
Gigabyte M57SLI-S4
nForce 570 sli
pcie x16 1.0
socket am2

my ram is
3 gigs of wintec ampx ddr2 800 pc26400 but i realized i need 1 more stick to do dual channel

psu
i am going to upgrade it for sure it was just a budget thing
hec HP585D
+3.3V@36A,+5V@36A,+12V1@19A,
+12V2@20A,-12V@1A,+5VSB@2.0A

I probably wont be able to upgrade for while but i have been wondering if my system would bottleneck a radeon 4850 or not. One other thing i want to check is that it said its pcie x16 2.0 but i thought i heard that nothing could overload a pcie x16 1.0 bus anyway is that true or did i hear this before these cards came out? If it will than i will just wait and see whats out later on.

If you know please tell me if an accelero s1 rev 2 will fit on it but you don't have to look it up or anything.

Sorry if i misspelled bottleneck (or anything else) its how spell check tells me to and I'm also sorry if there is some guide that says what CPU's bottleneck which cards. thanks for taking the time to help!

One other thing i want to check is that it said its pcie x16 2.0 but i thought i heard that nothing could overload a pcie x16 1.0 bus anyway is that true or did i hear this before these cards came out?

This, for the most part, is true. No card on the market can use the full bandwidth of the PCI-e 1.0 bus. Basically, all PCI-e 2.0 does is allow you to run two cards at x16 and x16 speed (in Crossfire/SLI) instead of x8 and x8 so if you're using a single card it's not going to make a difference.

Ok thanks for the answer! I never knew pcie x16 1.0 would only be able to do x8 in sli so thanks for telling me! I'm glad i wont have to worry about that with 1 card. i might just be able to overclock my cpu after all! i tried easytune instead of ntune or anything else and i got it higher but i will need to experiment and ask some other questions.

if my system would bottleneck a radeon 4850. thanks for any help i just want to know if i could get one without getting a better cpu or a different motherboard and cpu. if it would i will just wait longer untill i can get a new motherboard psu and an e7200 wolfdale or something.

oh right, sorry. i don't know why others haven't posted up their thoughts but my take is that you would be fine with the HD4850. Your cpu is fast enough and you have 1 PCI-E x16 slot so I don't see why you couldn't run one without any problems. You could always upgrade the cpu and motherboard later but you shouldn't have to. On a side note, the HD4850 X2 is due out soon if you want to save up a little more cash and get that instead. If not, the regular HD4850 will do the job just fine.

Awesome thanks a lot!!! I'm very glad to hear that! I was confused why no one but you had said anything and yet there had been 150 views. So thanks a lot for the help!

Just make sure you have enough room in your case to fit the card in. I believe the HD4850 is about 9.25 inches long plus you need a little more room to connect the power dongle. It would be a real bummer to get the card and have it not fit so that's why I bring it up. Other than that you'll be fine, the card should clear everything on the mobo and I don't think it needs too much power. Good luck!

It should i have a thermaltake armour jr. I ruffly measured and its got about 10 inches of space for the card so i should be fine. There is always the chance that some sort of spacial anomaly will form in my case and make it smaller inside than outside but my luck is not that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back