Write Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

InFiNiTi

I keep getting an error with Antivirus so im trying to do wut symantec said and rename the Symantec Shared in Common files under Program Files. Well Im trying to rename a folder and it keeps saying the folder is write protected. How do i allow it so i can change the name.

right click on the folder or file and look at its attributes to see if it is read-only. if it is, uncheck the box and click apply.

You should NOT rename the folder, ONLY rename the PROGRAM-files.
Folder names are required for programs to work, and are more often than not also stored in Registry. Don't mess with a system if you don't know what you are doing!

You'll have to kill off the running processes for Norton or it will just go in behind you and undo what did. I had to do that to get rid of the norton antispam toolbar in Outlook. Norton even went in and edited my registry. I would edit it and within seconds it was changed back to lock the toolbar. Norton software is invasive buggy and a system hog. I e-mailed there tech support and was told that once I installed the toolbar I could not remove it. :evil:

There is a program SYMCLN.EXE which might help. Another one to try is RNAV2004.exe
the 2005 version is not out yet.
Also try Norton_Remover.
Do a Google to locate them.
Work on your stuff in Safe Mode if you can.

It is normally faster and less frustrating to reinstall the PC rather than try to remove that Norton/Symantec sh.t.

thx for the help. Last night i just decided to reformatfor the 2nd time in 2 days because it was friday the next day and no1 had replied. No problems yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back