Xbox 360 Controller Windows 7

Hapnis

Hi, I've had my Xbox 360 controller for a year now and everything was fine until yesterday the controller randomly disconnected so I went into device manager to uninstall the drivers and reinstall new ones and it didn't fix the problem.So I tried changing ports and nothing happened I also downloaded the Xbox 360 accessories software and updated the drivers and nothing happened so I decided to check the error code in device manager and it said code 12. So could anyone please help me with the problem.
Thanks

Attachments

• Xbox 360 Controller .PNG
    Xbox 360 Controller .PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 4
Doing search on "Code 12 device cannot find free resources" provides a wide common experience.

I think the underlying issue is that Windows is hiding things from you while complaining about what it has hidden:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/install/viewing-hidden-devices

So clear out all 'hidden' devices/drivers to free up resources. Then would remove the Controller and any other device with an error in Device Manager both physically and in Device Manager. Reboot and confirm full removal in Device Manager. I might use CCLEANER to clear up 'lost files'.

Then reinstall.

Hi

Thanks for your response I just did what you told me to do However It didn't work.After I did a reinstall of the controller it said
no driver found so I went and manually downloaded the driver and it went back to code 12.

Attachments

• Xbox Controller.PNG
    Xbox Controller.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 360 Help.PNG
    360 Help.PNG
    31 KB · Views: 1
  • Xbox help.PNG
    Xbox help.PNG
    22.7 KB · Views: 2
How many hidden devices did you remove?... I had almost 20. You are looking for the one which has a conflict with the Xbox Controller, but if you wipe grayed out ones then that may do it.

To quote HP,
'Resources tab of Device Manager
When you click the Resources tab, the window in the middle of the tab indicates which resource types are available for the selected device.' Eliminate the conflict.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response

Shouldn't the Xbox 360 controller resource tab contain the conflicts as well?
Because it doesn't have anything in the resource tab apart from the message.
If you would like to know specific information I can give that.

Thanks for your response

Shouldn't the Xbox 360 controller resource tab contain the conflicts as well?
Because it doesn't have anything in the resource tab apart from the message.
If you would like to know specific information I can give that.
Yes, the resources tab should list the resources assigned.
Use "View" tab and select view by type.
You need to find the conflict with your controller device (I.e., the other device using same interrupt or location in memory or I/O range).

Each 'hidden' device is not in use (device is not attached and functioning) but is camping on certain resources. You may wish to remove unnecessary 'hidden' devices you no longer use as this may free resources - allowing the controller to establish new assigned resources.

See http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001212.htm

Hey I just noticed something in device manager there are two Xbox 360 controller's one is faded and the general tab says the device isn't connected but my controller is connected and the other has the exclamation point.So which one should I delete?

Attachments

• Xbox 360 Faded.PNG
    Xbox 360 Faded.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 2
BOTH!

Disconnect your controller.

Remove both instances.

Re-boot system and confirm complete removal.

Power down.

Reconnect controller.

Then restart and hopefully it will install the one your have actually connected in a proper manner.

After doing what you told me (it didn't work) I decided to uninstall the drivers and disconnect the controller and then restart the laptop.After restarting before I even plugged in the controller it started to download drivers for universal serial bus controller.
Could it be that the controller isn't getting recognized as being connected and that's why it's showing up as not connected in device manager?

Maybe I'm confused. The problem is "XBox controller randomly disconnected". Let's label Xbox Controller "XBC" and USB Controller "USBC".

You removed XBC device, you removed XBC drivers, you uninstalled XBC and rebooted and the system jumped into downloading drivers for USBC? Had you removed any USBCs to cause this?

Makes me think there is an underlying issue with USBC. Do not install anything related to XBC for now. Let USBC finish what it is doing and re-start system (NO XBC).

Please review this article to see if it applies to what you are experiencing. It may be that you need to refresh the USB ports and the USBC which provide connection and services to the XBC
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327635

You aren't confused that is what is happening.When I let usbc download what it wants to download it says driver not found.

Hey thanks for all your help turns out the controller was the issue.I decided to go buy a new controller and it worked immediately.

Back