Xbox One X Scorpio Edition nearly sold out, over 100 games optimized for 4K

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Last week a couple of online retailers prematurely posted listings for a special edition Xbox One X. Yesterday at Gamescom, Microsoft confirmed that it would indeed be releasing the Xbox One X – Project Scorpio Edition. Since then the exclusive signature console has already nearly sold out. Several retailers like Amazon and GameStop have already pre-sold their entire allotment of Scorpio units.

The demand for Microsoft’s new baby is high because at six TFLOPS of graphical computing power it will be the most powerful home gaming console on the planet when released. Although it has received some criticism for being a mid-generation upgrade similar to the PlayStation 4 Pro, that has not seemed to slow sales down. However, standard Xbox One X pre-orders have yet to go live at most outlets, so we will see if the demand is as high for the non-Scorpio counterparts.

One concern many would-be buyers have is a lack of games that support the full power of the new hardware. Even after having been out for almost a year now, there are only 64 games that have been enhanced for the PS4 Pro’s hardware. In this regard, the Xbox One X is going to outshine Sony’s darling.

Triple PS4 Pro's launch titles and nearly double Sony's current developer support right out of the gate.

Microsoft has already confirmed 121 current and upcoming games will be enhanced for the One X. That is triple PS4 Pro's launch titles and nearly double Sony's current developer support right out of the gate. A few big names that will be getting the 4K treatment on the Xbox One X include Assassin’s Creed Origins, Dishonored 2, Fallout 4, Injustice 2, and The Witcher 3.

If you are interested in seeing if your favorite game will be optimized for the Xbox One X, you can view a full list of enhanced titles at Larry Hryb’s blog “Major Nelson.” Don’t worry about whether you will have to re-buy Xbox One games you already own. Microsoft reassured fans at E3 2017 that Xbox One games can be patched to utilize the One X’s power.

The Xbox One X sells for $499, and both editions will start shipping on November 7. The Scorpio version sells for the same price as the standard, but good luck finding one. People are already asking five times that price on Ebay.

Permalink to story.

Soon we will find out if a Sciorpio in the flesh is worth two on a forum.

It already is whether it is or isn't. Kids decide things now. So if they say its cool or worth it, that's all that matters. Nothing else does. So why some will doubt the Xbox or it doesn't life up to the hype (which I doubt), if kids buy n say its cool, it will sell and sell big.
Will it be the be all, end all, no but it doesn't have to be. MS just has to put it to Sony and so far the media are making it easy. They are the ones who keep saying it's the most powerful console over n over. They also love talking about the 6 teraflop gpu. As long as MS launch goes good, they will be sitting in the driving seat for awhile.

6 TeraFLOPS of graphical performance whilst the current GPUs top out at 12. For $200 more.
Show me a $700 full PC setup, that achieves 12TFLOPS. Not a $700 GPU, because it's pretty obvious that a card costing similar money to a whole hardware setup (and that's what a console is) will have more graphic horsepower (at the expense of having to provide all the other PC hardware), hence the comparison like that is pointless.

Yes, yes, the old argument that you can't buy a PC for the same money you can buy a console.

Only that you can't recycle components from an old console. You have to pay $400 for each. $400 for XBOX, $400 for XBOX360, $400 for XBOX One and now $400 for this new Xbox X/Scorpio thing.

But I find something else strange. Talking about costs when digital entertainment is, by default, not for the poor. I mean a game is 60 euros. And markets such as Romania or Ukraine aren't even the center of this topic. People in America complain about money. Sheesh!

I've been in Western Europe for a while. 2 people working for the minimum wage (1500 euros per month) could easily afford a decent gaming device. Go on vacations and such. And it's pretty impossible to stay at the minimum wage level for long. Even the cleaning lady makes 2000 euros a month.

1 dollar in 2005 equals 1.27 dollars in 2017. So, at launch Xbox 360 was 399.99 USD, in today money this means 507 USD. The X is 499.99.

6 TeraFLOPS of graphical performance whilst the current GPUs top out at 12. For $200 more.
Show me a $700 full PC setup, that achieves 12TFLOPS. Not a $700 GPU, because it's pretty obvious that a card costing similar money to a whole hardware setup (and that's what a console is) will have more graphic horsepower (at the expense of having to provide all the other PC hardware), hence the comparison like that is pointless.
Very few who buy the console will have the vaguest idea of what you're talking about. You see 4K blab on the box, you're immediately impressed, you splurge on the gadget, chuck in the disk (or however things work on them these days) and you're cruising. That's the whole idea of them. Simple. The typical console gamer doesn't know or even care what's under the hood, just as long as it works.

Yes, yes, the old argument that you can't buy a PC for the same money you can buy a console.

Only that you can't recycle components from an old console. You have to pay $400 for each. $400 for XBOX, $400 for XBOX360, $400 for XBOX One and now $400 for this new Xbox X/Scorpio thing.

But I find something else strange. Talking about costs when digital entertainment is, by default, not for the poor. I mean a game is 60 euros. And markets such as Romania or Ukraine aren't even the center of this topic. People in America complain about money. Sheesh!

I've been in Western Europe for a while. 2 people working for the minimum wage (1500 euros per month) could easily afford a decent gaming device. Go on vacations and such. And it's pretty impossible to stay at the minimum wage level for long. Even the cleaning lady makes 2000 euros a month.
what

No, seriously, what? I just pointed out that you are comparing a $500 setup to $700 GPU, which is pointless, regardless how you look at it. And yet you're starting the whole "console vs PC blah blah" again, like it wasn't talked over and over for a million times in the internet.

what

No, seriously, what? I just pointed out that you are comparing a $500 setup to $700 GPU, which is pointless, regardless how you look at it. And yet you're starting the whole "console vs PC blah blah" again, like it wasn't talked over and over for a million times in the internet.

That'll be a million+1 ;)

I've seen absolutely nothing worth buying it for.

I'm still going between Mortal Kombat X and Battlefield 4. this console generation has been tremendously disappointing to me.

I've seen absolutely nothing worth buying it for.

I'm still going between Mortal Kombat X and Battlefield 4. this console generation has been tremendously disappointing to me.

Then that disapppointment applies to PC too. Since the majority of games released on PC now days comes from consoles. Not so much the other way anymore.

Then that disapppointment applies to PC too. Since the majority of games released on PC now days comes from consoles. Not so much the other way anymore.

NO - because older games still have active multiplayer servers while the Xbox 360/ Xbox One servers for older games don't in many cases.

I preordered mine.

There are about 11 games I own or definitely plan to own that have enhanced versions due out and I bought a 2016 top of the line 4K HDR Samsung on clearance to play them on. I do all my gaming on consoles now after years of PC gaming. For me, its great to have a system with no settings to tweak! Spend all day at work doing that anyway.

Looking forward to playing enhanced versions of:

Diablo 3
Fifa 18
Fallout 4
Forza Horizon 3
Halo 5
Middle Earth: Shadow of War
PlayerUnknown's battlegrounds
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Skyrim Special Edition
Witcher 3

Quality games that will look pretty tasty.

Wouldn't mind Anthem, Assassins Creed: Origins, Crackdown 3, Gears of War 4, Forza Motorsport 7, Injustice 2 or Destiny 2 (when they announce an enhanced version - I have preordered it anyway).

Is it worth £449.99? Time will tell but I want to support the ecosystem anyway. It seems high but I bought a PS3 for £30 recently and a PS4 new for £150 last year. If I think of the money I saved on those, then the Xbox 1X really cost me about £300....... :p /jk

Last edited:
The retail is only $499.00 the same price I paid for the Xbox One Day One addition....I don't see what all the fuss over price is. I was actually expecting a price tag of $699.00 or higher when details of the hardware first emerged.
I hope no one's kid wanted this thing for christmas. The price is skyrocketing.

Very few who buy the console will have the vaguest idea of what you're talking about. You see 4K blab on the box, you're immediately impressed, you splurge on the gadget, chuck in the disk (or however things work on them these days) and you're cruising. That's the whole idea of them. Simple. The typical console gamer doesn't know or even care what's under the hood, just as long as it works.

I disagree, most gamers, at least grown up "mature gamers" are pretty tech savvy and often do their homework. I myself am fifty years old and have been a gamer since I first had Atari's Pong in 1974. I've also been an avid pc gamer for a number of years. For a console as compact as the Xbox One X is, its pretty impressive and welcome its arrival. Let the console wars for supremacy reach even higher levels. The hardcore gamers are the winners in all of this, as well as the software developers. It remains to be seen what the margins will be for Microsoft and Sony. Or they'll rely on sheer sales numbers alone.

I disagree, most gamers, at least grown up "mature gamers" are pretty tech savvy and often do their homework. I myself am fifty years old and have been a gamer since I first had Atari's Pong in 1974. I've also been an avid pc gamer for a number of years. For a console as compact as the Xbox One X is, its pretty impressive and welcome its arrival. Let the console wars for supremacy reach even higher levels. The hardcore gamers are the winners in all of this, as well as the software developers. It remains to be seen what the margins will be for Microsoft and Sony. Or they'll rely on sheer sales numbers alone.
50? **Sigh** What it is to be that young young again. They were my wild years. ;) Anyway I get consoles, I really do, but they're not for me. I play games on a PC or not at all, there are no alternatives.

The retail is only $499.00 the same price I paid for the Xbox One Day One addition....I don't see what all the fuss over price is. I was actually expecting a price tag of $699.00 or higher when details of the hardware first emerged.

That's not counting tax and if you can get one at retail price.

Back