Xbox One's cloud service updates could cause reboots mid-game

Russ Boswell

With the Xbox One due to hit stores in less than a month, one would imagine that all of the major bugs and intricate ticks were already washed from Microsoft's upcoming hardware. But unfortunately they haven't. Not according to Xbox Live lead program manager John Bruno, who has brought to light an interesting issue involving the Xbox One's cloud service (no snickering, PC fans).

The problem is caused by the console's frequent, required, cloud updates. Microsoft has already announced that the system will require its cloud service to be up to date on a regular basis. But what exactly is the issue here, and how is it going to affect Xbox gamers? Bruno stated the following during a presentation at GDC Next:

"Once in a while, rather frequently actually, the host OS will require an update, meaning the physical machine is going to get rebooted whether your code is running or not," he explained. "That’s a problematic thing for a game, and oftentimes it's in the middle of a multiplayer session. We’ve worked very hard to overcome that, but that’s not to say it’s going to be a reality in every case."

That's not very comforting news, and according to Bruno, Microsoft has yet to remedy the problem with a release date breathing down its neck. This unique issue could also prove problematic for developers, pointing mainly at Respawn's Titanfall release in the near future (Spring 2014). Titanfall is expected to make heavy use of the cloud to fuel its multiplayer-only shooter, and these required updates could cause the game to experience some downtime. Bruno was asked about this potential hiccup, responding:

"I can’t answer that. I don’t know what the guys over at Titanfall have built into their game. It’s up to the game developer. If they want to rely more on our XBLC service, we’re happy to support that. We do provide a platform for them to persist data, but that’s up to the developer to utilize that."

Not to be “that guy,” but that seems like a pretty generic and loaded response. I can't imagine Titanfall's developers are excited to know that the fate of their game, one that is Xbox One exclusive and relies completely on Xbox Live, is solely in their hands.

Hopefully, this is an issue that Microsoft can wrap up before the launch of the Xbox One, and if not, at least mitigated in some way or another. I sense many primal screams and frustrated mutters on the horizon, barring a satisfactory response by Microsoft. Let me hear it Xbox One fans, how do you feel about this development?

Permalink to story.

MS knows better. It will be fixed for launch (especially since the public now knows about it lol)

With all the system updates required on both the PS3 and Xbox 360 over the years (some just to make some games/apps work), you'd think people would be more accustomed to this type of thing. Considering all the time and banther-foo-doo a console has to go through before it finally hits shelves I was surprised to hear so many disappointed the PS4 needs a day one update....really, its that surprising?
Maybe if your a selfish kiddie who wants his shiny toy with batteries installed, but for the rest of us somewhat sane people I admit the backlash I read/heard about was a little surprising.

With the late 180 changes made to the box...I don't expect anything but day 1 issues. I am anticipating major major problems with XBone180/720p only box.

With the late 180 changes made to the box...I don't expect anything but day 1 issues. I am anticipating major major problems with XBone180/720p only box.
And I am anticipating major major problems with PS3.5
But I'm just a guest, what do I know ;)

There will be issues and caveats with both. Let's sit back and laugh at the day one guys and make our choices once the dust settles (yes I cancelled my xbox one preorder).

I don't get how people can pick what console is better. To do that, you have to play both systems, but you can't as they are not released yet. Can you tell me what is the best car of 2015? No you can't as it's not out yet. Both consoles are going to have good points and bad points. I myself don't really see the value in them yet over what we are playing now.

I don't get how people can pick what console is better. To do that, you have to play both systems, but you can't as they are not released yet. Can you tell me what is the best car of 2015? No you can't as it's not out yet. Both consoles are going to have good points and bad points. I myself don't really see the value in them yet over what we are playing now.

Specs brah. PS4 has better specs and less fees. Besides that, ergonomic matters for controller comfort.

Wow. The XBOX ONE requires reboots for OS updates. I've never heard of that concept before! Now, you're telling me that it might just reboot on its own to apply those updates? Radical!! I mean, Windows doesn't even do that!

LOL, this is so funny. All the xBox fanboys were grilling PS for having a day 1 update that will activate most of the features the PS4 is supposed to already have and here they are not even sure if they will have an update for a problem that is worse than that of the PS4. Oh the ironies.

And I have to agree with Guest above, specs mean nothing until you actually try the system out. After all there have been more than enough gadgets out there where the creators showed them off at tech shows yet when the public got their hands on them problems quickly arrived that the creators never had during their presentations. Take the iPhone 4's antenna issue, it happens, you never know if the tech is gonna work till you try it and then you will know which is better. Unless you go against a PC in which case the PC will always be better. :+D

Tommorrows news today : The Xbox One wont reboot why playing a game you can do after you finshed playing.

Back