Xbox Series S and Series X arrive on November 10 for $299 and $499

Humza

Staff member
Bottom line: Following a fresh set of leaks around its upcoming Series S and Series X consoles, Microsoft has officially confirmed the existence of its disc-less console, calling the Series S its ‘smallest Xbox ever’ which it’ll sell for $299. While the company looks forward to sharing more information soon, several leaks around the console’s design and size comparisons with the Series X have already surfaced on the web, suggesting a $499 price tag for the latter with reports of both consoles launching on November 10, 2020.

Follow up: Xbox Series S vs Series X spec-by-spec comparison

Outside of controller packaging, Microsoft made little to no mention of the smaller Xbox Series S, a different approach from Sony, which revealed both versions of the PlayStation 5 back in June.

That changed today when the company officially confirmed the $299 Xbox Series S. Contrary to previous renders that suggested a cube-like design, the rectangular Series S appears to bear similar dimensions to the current Xbox One X, alongside the lack of a disc slot.

Microsoft's marketing materials for the Series S also highlight its size difference from the bigger, more powerful Series X. Although they don't reveal anything new about the Series S specs, gamers can expect ‘next gen performance’ thanks to features like Microsoft's Velocity Architecture, backwards compatibility, higher refresh rates and ray tracing support for games at lower resolutions (think 1080p).

A lower performance target helps with the Series S’ $299 price tag. Meanwhile, it's now been confirmed the Xbox Series X will cost $499, when both consoles launch on November 10.

In addition to retail, Microsoft will reportedly sell the Series S and Series X through its Xbox All Access program at $25/mo and $35/mo, respectively, making it quite a tempting offer considering that they’ll come bundled with Xbox Live and Game Pass subscriptions.

With Microsoft firing the first shot on next-gen console pricing, it remains to be seen what Sony is able to come up with for the PS5. For now, it's just asking players to find some time to relax and reflect as it (hopefully) prepares a suitable response.

Permalink to story.

I'll stick with my PC .... a person could easily go broke trying to keep up with all these "game boxes" .... LOL

Sounds about right. I was calling a $500 price point for the X, and was expecting the S to be announced with it's price to give it context. Though I am not excited about them splitting the performance into 2 targets early on (I was hoping it would only be discless). Just makes things more complicated.

Now, I expect a PS5 price to be announced pretty darn soon. Can't say they'll undercut the X's price, at least not by more than $50 (sounds like at $500 the console will sell at a big enough loss as is).

Also, that black circle vent is ugly. I hope they do all black/white.

The series X for $499 is actually an amazing value. I think Sony is going to have a tough time, rumor is the PS5 won't be out this year and will be at least $100 more. The series X hardware design is amazing from a cooling perspective, I think Microsoft nailed this one. Microsoft also has the superior controller IMHO. I'm not a console gamer and I'll be getting a 3080. The good news for PC gamers is that Sony announced they are bringing their first-party games to PC on their last earnings call. PC gaming gets better every year.

For $499, I might end up picking up the Series X for living room gaming purposes even though I'm primarily on PC. Due to myself and the people I live with having mostly Xbox libraries going back to the original Xbox, it'd be nice to have a system that could do it all with the impressive backwards compatibility Microsoft is committed to.

Controller support for PC games has come a LONG way in the last few years, especially since many games are native controller input anyway, being console ports.

My PC is hooked up to my 4K living room TV and generally it’s a smooth experience, although I’ll be buying a 3080 to get the frames up to a solid 60 with all bells and whistles on.

The only issue is even after 20 odd years Windows still can’t seem to handle a second screen properly, so ended up buying a powered HDMI splitter to mirror my monitor.

While I do agree the 3080 looks great, sometimes being lazy is quite nice. Just flopping down in the lounge and playing on your great big telly from a nice comfy sofa...

It seems there are two versions of the Xbox S. One has an optical drive while the other doesn't. Not sure I would go for the disc less version as that will essentially be a walled garden.

The pictures you have here don't look like the ones on the MS site: https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/consoles/xbox-one-s
That's because that's the older generation of Xbox. One S, not Series S.
Yay for MS and their confusing names!

Not sure I would go for the disc less version as that will essentially be a walled garden[/URL]
Consoles are inherently walled gardens. If you don't want to be in a walled garden, don't buy a console. The only thing a disc-less console is losing is Blue-Ray movie playback in day to day use, as consoles (like PC) are increasingly digital download only for game sales.

I'll stick with my PC .... a person could easily go broke trying to keep up with all these "game boxes" .... LOL
You sure about that? I mean a console generation last at least 6 years and the most you would have to pay could be $400-500 meanwhile, GPUs and CPUs generations are every 2 years and you got to pay thousands for high end parts.

You sure about that? I mean a console generation last at least 6 years and the most you would have to pay could be $400-500 meanwhile, GPUs and CPUs generations are every 2 years and you got to pay thousands for high end parts.
Actually only the less informed or just plain ***** upgrade every 2 yrs. The performance increase most would see would be minimal at best. You can use a gpu and/or cpu for many years.

If you want challenge a princess without having royal blood then you must be a lot prettier from her. In this generation PlayStation has the royal blood and its prettier too. Maybe in next generation...

I'll order a 3080 post haste. PS5 later. 3080 in a PC will crush Xbox on all the same games.

Be nice if Sony can get PS5 down to $449 and $399 for the version without the disc drive however I think it'll just end up $499 same as Series X.

It'll be worth it for the exclusive games and the innovative haptic controller which I hope will also be supported on PC. PC + PS5 will be the winning combination, just like PC + PS4 was this generation.

I always knew 500 and 300 for xbox called ps5 500 400 so we shall see and I hear ps5 wont evan launch or will be very very very limited this nov... Here we go ebay sellers just like ps2

you forget that games on consoles cost more and you have to pay for multiplayer.
My friend and I have the same games and he has spent over $1000 on multiplayer and the marked up games.
While I have only spent half that amount

Ive been gaming for 30 yrs and will never buy a digital only console warned of this very thing when sega channel was a thing pfft.... U can keep your sad version and ur series s and your ps5 with no drive slot no thank u.....

If the xsx price is $499, the 8 core amd apu with 12 Teraflops 16GB gpu must be cheaper than that.
Nvidia must lower 3070 price.

Back