XCOM 2 is currently free on the Epic Games Store

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The Epic Games Store's latest free title is one that demands you stop what you're doing and grab it right now—assuming it's not already in your library. The still-amazing X-COM 2 has joined the long list of top-quality Epic giveaways. For the next week, it's available to download and keep forever without costing you a penny.

Firaxis' 2016 release (download here) is arguably one of the greatest turn-based tactics games ever made. A sequel to 2012's XCOM: Enemy Unknown, itself a reboot of the classic XCOM games from the 1990s/early 2000s, XCOM 2 builds on its predecessor with more of the incredibly tough but rewarding gameplay that made the original a hit. Once again, you get to build a squad to take on the alien menace, name them after your friends, and wince or laugh when digital representations of people you like/secretly dislike are killed.

The only downside to the deal is that it doesn't include the brilliant War of the Chosen expansion that adds a whole new dimension to the game. But the good news is that Epic is offering an 80% discount on the XCOM 2 Collection Upgrade. So for $9.99, you can grab the War of the Chosen expansion and 4 DLC packs (Resistance Warrior Pack, Anarchy's Children, Alien Hunters, Shen's Last Gift), leaving you with plenty to play after finishing the free base game.

Joining XCOM 2 as the second giveaway is Insurmountable, a roguelike game about mountaineering. It's got a very positive rating on Steam, albeit from just over 300 reviewers, so it might be worth a look, given that it won't cost you anything.

Permalink to story.

<p>Firaxis' 2016 release (<a href="https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/xcom-2">download here</a>) is arguably one of the greatest turn-based tactics games ever made. A sequel to 2012's XCOM: Enemy Unknown, itself a reboot of the classic XCOM games from the 1990s/early 2000s, XCOM 2 builds on its predecessor with more of the incredibly tough but rewarding gameplay that made the original a hit. Once again, you get to build a squad to take on the alien menace, name them after your friends, and wince or laugh when digital representations of people you like/secretly dislike are killed.</
Well, if "greatest" covers hundreds of games, perhaps then.

Also XCOM does NOT build anything about original X-Com. It does not have hit points, it has overpowered skills for soldiers, it has way too small squad size, RNG is flawed etc etc. Sadly, writer of this news item has never played original X-Com.

About only thing it actually builds from original is unbalanced combat, unbalanced geoscape and way too linear research tree.

You want something that Builds on original X-Com? Xenonauts mod X-Division does that.

Well, if "greatest" covers hundreds of games, perhaps then.

Also XCOM does NOT build anything about original X-Com. It does not have hit points, it has overpowered skills for soldiers, it has way too small squad size, RNG is flawed etc etc. Sadly, writer of this news item has never played original X-Com.

About only thing it actually builds from original is unbalanced combat, unbalanced geoscape and way too linear research tree.

You want something that Builds on original X-Com? Xenonauts mod X-Division does that.

Whoah, what's with all the hate on a brilliant turn-based game that's free? And who the hell played the original X-com?! How old are you man?!

X-com and X-com 2 are indeed the greatest MODERN tactical and squad-based games ever made for this generation of gamers. And for the amazing price of "free" it behooves anyone who hasn't played it to try it.

Whoah, what's with all the hate on a brilliant turn-based game that's free? And who the hell played the original X-com?! How old are you man?!

X-com and X-com 2 are indeed the greatest MODERN tactical and squad-based games ever made for this generation of gamers. And for the amazing price of "free" it behooves anyone who hasn't played it to try it.
I played, It's an insult to even compare original X-COM for this anomaly. Those games are not Tactical at all. If you even try simple flanking tactics, all you do is wake up more enemies and then battle is lost. Basically both games are either too easy (using overpowered skills) or purely luck based (no overpowered skills available). Tactics involves soldier movement and on those games it's not worth it, battles essentially become stand and fight -shooting and only thing that matters is which side has more overpowered skills/weapons. Only good thing on both games are animations.

Also new games are XCOM, old ones are X-COM. Everyone that has played originals know this one.

And so, news item needs some rewriting:
[HEADING=3]The still-amazing X-COM 2 has joined the long list of top-quality Epic giveaways.[/HEADING]

Should be XCOM 2.

A sequel to 2012's XCOM: Enemy Unknown, itself a reboot of the classic XCOM games from the 1990s/early 2000s
Should be: X-COM.

While this game differs from the original X-COM in terms of team size and overal flexibility, it is still a solid, modern, small team tactic game and it is fun to play. Especially, when you don't have to pay a penny. There is very little games like this on the market (mutant year zero, phoenix point, abandon children, troubleshooter are few I can come on top of my head) and yes, we'remissing a title being closer to the first xcoms... but on the other hand is there still a market for a game where fights are very difficult and long and complex? I think devs don't want to take such a risk.
Anyway, good work Epic for bringing this one to more people. But hmm, maybe we can see some more similar, good games.

I played, It's an insult to even compare original X-COM for this anomaly. Those games are not Tactical at all. If you even try simple flanking tactics, all you do is wake up more enemies and then battle is lost. Basically both games are either too easy (using overpowered skills) or purely luck based (no overpowered skills available). Tactics involves soldier movement and on those games it's not worth it, battles essentially become stand and fight -shooting and only thing that matters is which side has more overpowered skills/weapons. Only good thing on both games are animations.

Also new games are XCOM, old ones are X-COM. Everyone that has played originals know this one.

And so, news item needs some rewriting:

Should be XCOM 2.

Should be: X-COM.

Well said.

Eh, I guess I'll grab it. But the last one left me feeling like the (procedural) RNG hated me specifically.

These days, too heavy of RNG (with big consequences) just isn't as fun anymore. The exception being rogue-likes (where it is tailored to restarting/redoing gameplay).

Last edited:
While this game differs from the original X-COM in terms of team size and overal flexibility, it is still a solid, modern, small team tactic game and it is fun to play. Especially, when you don't have to pay a penny. There is very little games like this on the market (mutant year zero, phoenix point, abandon children, troubleshooter are few I can come on top of my head) and yes, we'remissing a title being closer to the first xcoms... but on the other hand is there still a market for a game where fights are very difficult and long and complex? I think devs don't want to take such a risk.
Anyway, good work Epic for bringing this one to more people. But hmm, maybe we can see some more similar, good games.
It's perhaps fun to play but again: it's not tactical game. Area is quite narrow and you basically cannot move soldiers forward or it's instant loss (if you are unlucky). Basically, XCOM -series has no tactics involved other than skill usage.

Most tactical turn based games are lower budget ones (Expeditions Conquistador/Viking/Rome, Disciples series, King's bounty series, Divinity Original Sin/2, Pillars of Eternity 2, can we count Heroes of Might and Magic too? etc) or more indie titles (Xenonauts/2, Age Of Decadence/Colony Ship etc). Probably making big budget game is too risky, agreed.

However every game on above list is really tactical. Something XCOM 2 and similar ones (Shadowrun etc that essentially copied XCOM) are not.

I did. It's my favorite game. The new X-com games can be fun, but they aren't really X-Com.

It's perhaps fun to play but again: it's not tactical game. Area is quite narrow and you basically cannot move soldiers forward or it's instant loss (if you are unlucky). Basically, XCOM -series has no tactics involved other than skill usage.

Most tactical turn based games are lower budget ones (Expeditions Conquistador/Viking/Rome, Disciples series, King's bounty series, Divinity Original Sin/2, Pillars of Eternity 2, can we count Heroes of Might and Magic too? etc) or more indie titles (Xenonauts/2, Age Of Decadence/Colony Ship etc). Probably making big budget game is too risky, agreed.

However every game on above list is really tactical. Something XCOM 2 and similar ones (Shadowrun etc that essentially copied XCOM) are not.
One second, in first sentence you're saying that area is quite narrow and you can't move your soldiers much (there are actually quite large map later in the game) therefore xcom2 isnt a tactical game, and in second part you're saying that disciple series IS a tactical game - where you actually CANT move any of 6 charaters at all ;)
Xcom, like most of the other games you've mentioned, is a tactical game. Definitely have more tactical variables than mentioned Disciples or Homm (which are overcomplicated rock-paper-scisors, and I really loved Disciples 1 and 2). Hoever it is not a strategy game, nor a cRPG with tactical element.
And I get that you don't like it, it's not my prefered game either, but it ticks all the checkoxec for a tactical game genre.

I've been killing Sectoids, Aquatoids and their brethren since the late '90. Not only in the original two games, but also the Apocalypse and most of the spin-offs. My addiction was so strong at that time that it urged me to invest in programming skills, so that I can work on tools dealing with game assets like sprites, palettes, strings, etc.

All this didn't stop me to enjoy the modern XCOM games, not at all. They are different, but enjoyable and a lot of people do appreciate them. As you can see, even Julian Gollop is having hard time making a modern X-COM (Phoenix Point) that can make both hardcore fans and causal gamers happy.

The way I see it, these times will never be back.
Don't let nostalgia and unrealistic expectations hamper your experience.

One second, in first sentence you're saying that area is quite narrow and you can't move your soldiers much (there are actually quite large map later in the game) therefore xcom2 isnt a tactical game, and in second part you're saying that disciple series IS a tactical game - where you actually CANT move any of 6 charaters at all ;)
Like I said, area May be large but moving soldiers is useless since there is huge risk of waking up more enemies and then battle is lost. Movement is supposed to be big part of XCOM 2 tactics but since tactical movement is too dangerous, there is almost nothing left. With so long experience on tactical games, I don't consider XCOM 2 tactical game.

IIRC Disciples III allows movement. Also it matters if movement is meant to be big part of game or not. Game like King's bounty would be very tactical even without movement.
Xcom, like most of the other games you've mentioned, is a tactical game. Definitely have more tactical variables than mentioned Disciples or Homm (which are overcomplicated rock-paper-scisors, and I really loved Disciples 1 and 2). Hoever it is not a strategy game, nor a cRPG with tactical element.
And I get that you don't like it, it's not my prefered game either, but it ticks all the checkoxec for a tactical game genre.
Most of XCOM series tactics come from movement from cover to cover. But because every time you move there is risk of waking up more enemies, on higher difficulties best course of action is not to move but just stand and fight. But if opponent has better equipment/skills, what you can do? Basically nothing. So much about tactics.

Disciples series overall I don't have that much experience, other mentioned I have played a lot.

It still does not. That waking up enemies moving too far is essentially game breaking design flaw that make very big part of tactical side (movement) useless and therefore it takes out major part of tactics. That's more than valid argument not to consider XCOM as tactical game.
I've been killing Sectoids, Aquatoids and their brethren since the late '90. Not only in the original two games, but also the Apocalypse and most of the spin-offs. My addiction was so strong at that time that it urged me to invest in programming skills, so that I can work on tools dealing with game assets like sprites, palettes, strings, etc.

All this didn't stop me to enjoy the modern XCOM games, not at all. They are different, but enjoyable and a lot of people do appreciate them. As you can see, even Julian Gollop is having hard time making a modern X-COM (Phoenix Point) that can make both hardcore fans and causal gamers happy.

The way I see it, these times will never be back.
Don't let nostalgia and unrealistic expectations hamper your experience.
Modern players prefer so much casual that it's not surprise Gollop tries to please majority of players. Still haven't played Phoenix point, perhaps soon. Luckily we have other games, Xenonauts 2 hopefully delivers.

Like said previously, major design flaw can make game unplayable or destroy most of it's tactical side. And that's exactly what XCOM-series "wake up enemies and give them free moves to cover" -feature do. Movement is Supposed to be big part of tactics but because of design flaw, it's not. So much about tactics and XCOM being tactical game. Imagine that kind of "feature" to X-COM and, well, too horrible to imagine to be truthful...

Back