XFree Server Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

me(who else?)

Time for my weekly Linux screw-up... I tried to install the drivers for my Intel 852 built in video card ( the DRI ones). I downloaded the .tar.gz and extracted, then I ran the install script. It seemed to work fine, but when I rebooted XFree86 started throwing errors about "No Video Bios for selected depth". What does that mean? I've been working on it most of the night :knock: :knock: , but to no avail. Unfortunately, I have a couple school projects on there. I assumed that upgrading the drivers with such a fool-proof script would be as easy as a Windows driver update, but I guess I messed up bad.

edit: I ran redhat-config-xfree86 and I saved it, but I still use i810 drivers. Any ideas on how to use my new ones?

You can choose which X driver to use by changing the /etc/X11/XF86Config file (or wherever RH puts it).

The "depth" part in the error message would suggest a colour depth issue. Try changing between 16 and 24 bits. (Yes, in the XF86Config file)

RH puts the config in /etc/X11. I tried to change the driver... the installer said gdg, but when I typed gdg it couldn't boot. Seems strange :confused:

Paste the output X gives you when it crashes and the contents of your Xfree86 log (probably in /var/log), do this after running the 825 driver install.

I can install the driver fine, but when I try to set it up, there's a list of drivers, the current one being i810. However, I interpreted the point of the driver as being able to use OpenGL, but UT2004 still crashes under anything but software.

Once you have X loaded, open up a console and type this:

glxinfo | grep direct

and paste the output

I assume this is the configuration and log when everything is OK?

You are using the builtin i810 driver and X works fine. OpenGL for i810 driver works only in DRI mode, so you have to enable DRI. In the XF86Config file in "Module" section, add a line 'Load "dri"'. Restart the X server (log out).

If you want to try out your new driver, change the config file to use that and post the X logs for that.

With dri loaded, I can install the drivers and run redhat-config to configure the cards. Then, I can run startx. However, when I restart the computer, the computer throws these errors:

I assume you are using the same X confiuration as before.. Try changing the color depth to 16 bits there. Last time I checked the X i810 driver had HW acceleration only in 16 bit mode.

I have it in 16 bit mode, it removed 32 bit altogether. However, when I start the comp, I have to :

1) uninstall the drivers
2) redhat-config-xfree86
3)reinstall
4) redhat-config-xfree86
5)startx

This is really a pain, and I can't use the X server without following the above process.
:unch:

You should try to do things without the redhat X config thing.

Just familiarise yourself with the XF86Config file and see what goes wrong where.

Point and click things are useful only until something breaks. After that they do more damage than good.

It seems like using redhat config does something, as all I have to do is run the program and my X server works. I managed to eliminate the DRI drivers. And OpenGL rendering was disappointing... the computer kept throwing blitbuffer errors, which made it about 1/5 as fast as Software rendering puke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back