Xi3 to launch first desktop with Google's Chrome OS

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Although Google has announced that it's working on various "Chromebox" devices, it hasn't been particularly candid about their specifications, release date or price. If you can't justify waiting indefinitely for a mystery box, then Xi3 Corporation might have precisely what you're looking for. The company has announced what will be the market's first desktop PC running Google's Chrome OS.

Named ChromiumPC, the ultra-compact machine is based on Xi3's customizable Modular Computer and has been in development since 2009 with a release date slated for July 4. The system features an aluminum chassis that measures only 101.6(W) x 92.8(D) x 92.8mm(H) and houses three small interconnected boards: the processor module, primary I/O module, and secondary I/O module.

The processor module contains CPU and RAM, the primary I/O module holds external communication such as eSATA and USB, while the secondary I/O module features Ethernet along with video and power connectors. Xi3 hasn't shared the ChromiumPC's specs yet, but it will be offered with a single or dual-core 64-bit x86 processor. Pricing is also unknown but the Modular Computer goes for $850.

Apparently, it's no coincidence that the device slated for Independence Day in the US. "Since the Xi3 Computer Architecture allows owners of the Xi3 Modular Computer to declare their independence from the built-in obsolescence of other computers, we felt that American Independence Day would be a great day to begin selling the 5 Series model of the Xi3 Modular Computer," the company said today.

Permalink to story.

I like the chrome design heh. Instead of "Chromium PC" they should just add Chrome logo in silver (similar to apple logo) and having "Chromium PC" in small letters somewhere in the bottom corner (either left or right.)

If it is, I can come up with a list of people, which I'd like to grind .. oopps I am thinking out loud. :eek:

I guess the question now becomes which should be my next OS, win7, OSX or chrome OS? If you answered Chrome OS, go to the bathroom, look in the mirror... that's what stupidity looks like.

OOH SHINY!!!

Think I`ll stick with my I7 2600k and Win7 64 which has been pretty stable for me.
I normally love taking a pop at microsoft and bill gates for selling broken stuff, hence i waited a year before buying. win 7

I don't like to defend MS or anyone else for that matter, but I think =>90% of the time the user put him/herself in peril by i) either buying substandard hardware ii) getting viruses/malware/spyware etc. (perhaps by visiting too many pron sites), resulting in instability. But that is my personal experience in my circle.

And I suppose this Chromium PC will come with a silver monitor and peripherals too ? What if you access the internet using this PC, will they call you the "Silver Surfer" ? :)

aj_the_kidd said:
I guess the question now becomes which should be my next OS, win7, OSX or chrome OS? If you answered Chrome OS, go to the bathroom, look in the mirror... that's what stupidity looks like.

haha

.....And the Silver Loaf goes to....

Man this outfit has gotten arrogant. This is apple (re)-incarnate.

.....And the Silver Loaf goes to....

Man this outfit has gotten arrogant. This is apple (re)-incarnate.

"Bend over to receive thy "Silver Loaf"........! :haha:

And to think, I was naive enough to ask, "where does the meat go in". :rolleyes:

Does this thing come with, "The Village People's Greatest Hits", preloaded? ;)

"Bend over to receive thy "Silver Loaf"........! :haha:

And to think, I was naive enough to ask, "where does the meat go in". :rolleyes:

Does this thing come with, "The Village People's Greatest Hits", preloaded? ;)
:haha: ^

...Don't let your Google loaf...

Back