Xp 2800 thunderbird issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have purchased a second hand xp 2800 chip ,which refuses to run stable at its defualt clockspeed. 13.5 x 166=2241 so i am currently running a 13 multiplier
and it is rock solid. I have tried a different mobo with a fresh install of windows,a new 600w psu the crashes are random the comp just shuts down and restarts.the event viewer tells me the computer has restarted from a bugcheck. At first i thought it was a heat problem because on both mobos the harware monitor in bios the cpu temp was high at 57 but in software monitoring the temps are 37-44 i have tried running with different combinations of memory .So do you think the proceesor is the problem, i have run "Hot cpu tester pro" in diagnostic mode for 4 hours without any problems using the lower clock rates.
any idears would be much appreciated

thanks Jon

Howdy!

From your text:
AMD Athlon XP, 2166 MHz (13 x 167) 2700+
Motherboard Name Abit KD7(-RAID)
(6 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
System Memory 768 MB (DDR SDRAM)

It seems to me everest is accurate no matter the clock speed or fsb
you set in the bios. So the cpu you have must be a 2700+.
The three fastest atholons are the 3200+2.2mhz & 3000+/2700+2.166mhz

This is a very hard to find chart from AMD "Click Here"
it will help to identify your chip too...

It sounds to me as though you may be, unintentionally, over clocking
and getting temp related reboots and lockups.
What kind of heatsink fan? as well as any other fans?
G'Luck

thanks for your imput but this is a 2800 ive checked the codes ,as for cooling im using a zalman all copper flower cooler with artic silver idle@37 load@44 the spd in bios on both boards detected it as a 2800.still cant understand why they both showed high temps in bios tho. is it possible the ram is dodgy and cant take the higher multiplier,i would have thought that only raising the fsb would cause more stress.

yes it could

idle@37 load@44 the spd in bios on both boards detected it as a 2800.still cant understand why they both showed high temps in bios tho. is it possible the ram is dodgy and cant take the higher multiplier,i would have thought that only raising the fsb would cause more stress.
44°c= 111°f or so. 60°c is normal.
FSB of 166mhz x 2=333mhz x(your multiplier)=CPU speed
FSB of 266mhz x 2=533mhz x(your multiplier)=CPU speed
When you up the 166 to 177, you are changing the FSB for everything
on your board. It could be a pci failure or ram failure (most common)
When changing the multiplier you are upping the FSB.

Whats getting @ me is it runs stable @ 2700+(2.176mhz)
meaning it's under-clocked....Sounds like maybe the friend you
got it from may have been over clocking the cpu and damaged it.
Many lower cpu ratings are cpu's that failed higher speeds, so they
lock them and sell them @ a lower MHZ thats stable. So maybe he
over clocked it and turned it into 2700+...
I'm baffled here too, like you.
Lets give others here a chance to try thier hand at it..
Don't give up yet!
G'Luck
p.s. I'd really like to know answers to this one too.

Just a quick update i have solved my problem by upping the cpu core and memory voltage and now the system is rock solid and with only slight increase in temps.
good work guys

I had a similar problem i have a amd athlon xp 2800+ and i run it way under standard FSB. Standard = 12.5 mutiplier 166 FSB
Mine = 12.5 multiplier 160 FSB

The system Never ran well at standard setting right from a bradn new status right off the shop floor. I fixed it by lower the FSB but i shouldn't have to lower is by such a huge amount to run a stable system.

How did you increase the core voltage etc?
is their any possiblities of damaging the cpu to making it completly unusable?

Kimbo you are really underclocking that prcessor the defualt is 13.5x166 =2245 . I dont know what motherboard your using but on my abit kd7 u can go into advanced chipset features and change the v core setting to manual and the voltage settings that were previously greyed out are selectable, just turn the voltage up from 1.65v to 1.70 and change your multiplier to 13.5 and give it a go. Keep a close eye on your cpu temps mine is 36 idle and in the low 50 when playing cs source . by raising your voltage by .05 is unlikely to damage your processor. good luck keep me posted on how you get on.

I sure hop you guys are talking about the Thoroughbred version which had 256kb of L2 cache. If you're using Barton based CPUs they should not run that high. They should be set to 11.5x166 -> 1909mhz.

My processor is a Amd Athlon XP 2800+ (barton core)

Standard:
Mutiplier = 12.5
Front Side Bus = 166

Mine:
Multiplier = 12.5
Front Side Bus = 160
CPU voltage jumps from 1.65-1.66 (back and forth)

The multiplier on my mainboard is locked.

Hmm, I was confusing it with the 2600+ for some reason. The 2800+ indeed has a multiplier of 12.5 & FSB of 166 so the clockspeed is ~2075mhz. Why does Doggzy try to run it beyond 2200mhz ? Is it a Thoroughbred ?

yes mine is definately a thunderbirdand i am using the correct multiplier and fsb it is a very rare chip,there is a article about it here http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021001/xp_2800-07.html if your interested.I didnt realize your was a barton core so sorry for the bad imformation
personally i would run memtest for a few hours a defualt speeds to see if it is a memory problemand try turning the voltage up to 1.7v see if its stable as long as youve got a decent heatsink you will be ok

I have standard Heatsink and 5 90mm case fans (RPM 1800-3200)
my temperatures are : Idle 44
Full load 52

Will this be fine?
And are you sure my cpu wont kill it self at this Voltage?

kimbo there a re no garantees but i honestly think you would be ok just as i say keep a close eye on your temps lots of overclockers turn up there core voltages to get stable overclocks and they go a lot more than 0.05 increase

but at the end of the day its up to you .

Yeah i will only go ahead with it if it will give me stability at 166FSB becuase honestly i could have saved a good $50AU and just got 2400+ and still got the same performance :(

kimbo.ati said:
I have standard Heatsink and 5 90mm case fans (RPM 1800-3200)
my temperatures are : Idle 44
Full load 52

Will this be fine?
And are you sure my cpu wont kill it self at this Voltage?
Those are very good temps...seems to be the standard...
In the other thread:" Everest will help keep an eye on the temps"
Fan rpm's, cpu, and any 3 wire sys fans
MoBo temp
cpu temp
gpu
gpu ambient temp

CPUZ and CPU cool are good prog's too..
G'Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back