XP hates ipod & re-starts as soon its as connected Error code 10000050

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I've bought an ipod for my sister and as soon as she connects it or a even just a memory stick to the USB port the compuer recognises the new hardware, says it's a mass storage device and then just re-starts.

The error log is:-
Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Description:
Error code 10000050, parameter1 ffffffe8, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 804eca95, parameter4 00000000.

The warning log is:-
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: PlugPlayManager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 256
Description:
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "DeviceMsgListenerWnd"

The processor is an AMD Duron 600 with 512MB RAM and whilst I know it's a bit old, I'm pretty sure this shouldn't happen.

The PC also has a PCI card with a USB hub plus the 2 USB ports on the motherboard. It currently has a USB printer and USB modem that work fine. I have tried all the USB ports with these and they are fine when the ipod is connected, it crashes.

Stuff I've tried to date include;-

1. Disk check
2. Updating the USB drivers (without much success - neither I nor Windows could find any updates)
3. Updated XP to SP1 and soon to SP2
4. Turned off auto-reboot during system error and now it just freezes and goes slower - I don't get a BSOD though.

I think it's a driver problem and my Dad thinks it might be a program writing to a bit of memory already allocated to some other program - I have no idea how to diagnose this.

Any help would be massively appreciated by a fairly clueless newbie!

Thanks in advance :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back