XP Home randomly reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chisel N Gel

I was upgrading my computers mobo and discovered the motherboard was bad and shorted out. Now I have my old ECS P4M800-M7 motherboard back in but with a new processor and powersupply. I now have an Intel pentium D dual core processor in the old ECS along with a new 500w Utlra power suppply. At first my computer was working, then I tried playing a few games. Immediately my computer reboots once the game went full screen and it's been rebooting randomly since.
I've had this problem before and it was with a bad stick of RAM, but that time when my computer started up it told me that the computer had failed a RAM test. This time it's not doing that.

When you say shorted out, are you sure it was not shorted out on an extra, or bent, standoff?

It could still be a RAM problem, a driver problem, a MOBO problem, a software issue, a video problem, almost anything may be the cause. Are you sure the new processor is compatable with your old MOBO?

No, I'm pretty sure it was just shorted out, but I've ran memtest and nothing was wrong. I also have tried taking out my Radeon 9800 and used my built in motherboard video card, and I still have the same problem. I've also checked my motherboard manual and it says that it's compatable with my new processor. Ever since I took out the new mobo and put in the old stuff windows had trouble with drivers. thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back