Xp pro install keeps failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesl

Hello all, I've been trying to install xp pro on my pc which is currently running win2ooo. I boot from the cd and it goes through the text based part OK and saves all the system files etc..But just as the GUI part kicks off, it stops, and i'm getting 'fatal system error' c000021a blue screen, anyone any ideas?

ps : I've tried doing the install through starting up win2000 also, and screen goes black after text part..help please..

Reformat the drive, and try again.
Could be defective memory, bad SMART test on hard drive, defective cpu fan, defective power supply, defective network interface... almost anything out of normal can cause it... But it is likely the video graphics unit.

thanks for that

But as Ive got a basic hard disk that's got the max partitions, I cant reformat. As you say it could be a hardware issue. I'm trying to avoid a reinstall. But if it came to it, d'you think that would solve the problem; and allow me to install another OS, as dual boot with win2k?

If you have another Hard drive even an old small one. If that does not work there was a few kb articles over installation issues I could look up but usually it is hardware related to be that soon during setup.

Remove if you have Sound/video capture cards

1. Format or Try another hard drive
http://www.memtest86.com
2. Run a memory test at least a few hours of testing I recomend at least 24 hrs to be sure
3. Drop down to only one stick of RAM (unless your using RIMMS or require a pair)
4. Then post back the results

thanks for the advice..

Will perform those test you recommended. Will let you know results..
Thanks again.

I just tried to install it again and it went through fine. I now have both win2000, and XP Pro on my PC, so I'm happy as finally I can dual boot. But,
I have one 120GB, HDD (basic) with 3 partitions, I have installed the 2 O/S's on the Active Partition (C) and I have two big partitions (D) and (E) for my files and folders.. (I know that isn't ideal but it's done now) Problem I have now is that when I boot up using XP Pro, it tells me my (D) and (E) partitions are not available.. Any ideas?
Many thanks..

You have quite a mess there... 2 OS's on the same partition! How are the D and E partitions formatted? NTFS? Is XP fully updated, and updated to XP, SP2 using Microsoft Update?

Agreed, it is a bit of a mess..

but it took so long installing.. My partitions are all fomatted with NTFS. My XP pro is fully up to date with service pack 2 installed also. Don't know what to do!

jamesl said:
but it took so long installing.. My partitions are all fomatted with NTFS. My XP pro is fully up to date with service pack 2 installed also. Don't know what to do!

right click on "My Computer" in XP. Click "Manage", Disk Management, and see if you can access the D and E partitions there

Hi, no i tried

that, can't access them any way. The only choice as far as I can see is to reformat the partitions, but that's a big pain as I'll have to re claim all my user - data from the back up drive and it'll take ages..Oh well

yes I will / i did

in fact I think it's the safest thing. Did the re format and all seems to be well now..transfering my user data over now..what a bore!
Thanks to all for the help.
james

Multiple operating systems are a huge pain.

Heck, operating systems are a pain.

Glad you had your data backed up at least, further proof that good computing practices prevent headaches later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back