XP Pro Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

One of my friend caught something, we don't know what it is, but it turned everything black for him. He doesn't see any windows, anything. He can't do anything. It's not video card because icons are viewable. Some trickster made a horrible black theme and we can't change it back. Anyways. That's off now, there's no way to fix that.

My friend said that it would probably be best reformatting. We may have attempted reformating over 10 times! I've done it so much with other computers, including my own, to ammount to so many uncountable times.

But whenever we try doing his, it either freezes at 3% for a long time, then finnally continues and finishes (NOT NORMAL) and the installation does not run windows, claims that there were lots of files that could not be installed. I've tried deleting partritions, creating, converting, formating, formatting (quick), everything! But that's in Windows XP Pro CD. I've tried Maxtor's MAXBLAST that I've had laying arround, to see if I could convert the thing to FAT32 and hopefully windows would take it from there, but after doing that several times, windows still had problems. And the MAXBLAST method was a trick that always helped me solve these kind of problems!!!

He's not running SATA. The cables are plugged in all the way, tight, snug, and properly. Power cables are in correctly.

The comptuer worked fine before reformat. It played games with none of that blackish theme or whatever because we could see the icons and it loaded the games like normal.

Ideas?

If he is overclocking then put it back to normal until you get XP installed. I have seen allot of posts with similar problems, a lot of them turn out to be a ram problem. Try removing one stick at a time or swap it all out if you can borrow some.

Actually, it is a RAM problem! Ever 1/3 startups you hear the speech post lady (from asus heheh) say "System Failed Memory test", but then you'd restart and it'd be fine.

It's not O/Ced.

Before you said that, I decided to make a memtest cd.

I'll update.

Thanks for input.

Remove the ram sticks and then reinstall them to make sure they are seated in the sockets correctly. Ground yourself (touch the power supply case) to discharge any static electricity before you touch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back