XP SP2 and Windows System File Checker

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsim

When I run System File Checker, I keep being prompted to "Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD Now", the CD is in the CD drive.
My original XP disk has SP2 included.

I have made some registry and file changes in the hope I can run SFC without sitting at the computer pressing Retry while SFC runs, but the problem still exists.

The changes are -
Copied i386 from XP CD to C:\i386.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup SourcePath C:\.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath C:\.

CurrentVersion\Setup\ServicePackSourcePath C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles

I would appreciate some advise
kevsim

Same place as you found SourcePath, there is also CDInstall value 1 if from a CD, and Installation sources, which has the value E:\I386\LANG

These two should probably be 0 and C:\I386\LANG for you.

Broni,
I am running XP SP2 Professional.

gbhall,
I tried the changes you suggested but still did now work.

kevsim

The only case, where I've seen "Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD Now" message, was when Windows XP Media Center Edition was installed.

Broni,
I am using a genuine Windows XP Professesional with SP2 disk, this is the same disk I installed from.
kevsim

Hold Windows key on your keyboard and press Pause/Break key.
What does the pop-up window say about your Windows version?

Can you see, if you can read the CD on another computer?

What are you running "sfc" for, to start with?

Broni,
Laptop can read it, except laptop has Vista installed.
Suspect I may have faulty system file and and also for any future issues.
kevsim

Suspect I may have faulty system file
What are the symptoms?
Was your CD drive working before?
Can you check, if your can boot your XP computer from said CD?

Broni,
I have since fixed the original problem, the issue of SFC was still happening then.
The CD drive was working before and still is working OK.
I can boot the computer from the CD drive using the XP installation disk.
kevsim

Broni,
Thanks for the help you have provided.
Hoping somebody else may have some ideas.
kevsim

"CurrentVersion\Setup SourcePath C:\."

Have you tried

CurrentVersion\Setup SourcePath C:\.i386

Another thought; I had a similar problem a couple of years ago; SFC would run for a couple of minutes then start asking for the CD. Turned out to be a bad file on the CD; when I copied the i386 directory to the HD I also copied the corrupt file. SFC would see the corrupt file on the HD, go to the CD, see a corrupt file there and just keep asking for the CD (don't know why it didn't give me the "cannot read file" message). Got another XP CD and in twenty minutes everything was back to normal.
(well ...normal for Micro$oft anyway)

I will give u another, bad mem. can cause that kind of problems, a year or so ago I had some go to the point I could not reinstall windows it would get in the middle and start having errors of all kinds, I was so dumb that I was getting 3 beeps at boot and thought that was normal. not saying that is kevsim's problem I from experience know it can cause all kinds of problems.

I thank you both for the suggestions.
I did not have another original CD but did have a backup of the original when first purchased, I used this but still have same problem.

I have a suggestion where the files on my computer be compared to another computer.
Mine are as follows –
Files
C:\Windows\i386 (contains many files and SP2), ASMS, Compdata, Drw, System32, Win9xmig, Win9xupg, Winntupg.
Registry Keys
CurrentVersion\Setup SourcePath C:\.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath C:\.

Files
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles (contain 2 folders, no files), \ServicePackCache (contains folder, no files), \i386 (contains msrdp.cab, I also put i386.cab in here that did not work)
Registry Keys
CurrentVersion\Setup\ServicePackSourcePath C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles

CurrentVersion\Setup\ServicePackCachePath C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\ServicePackCache

CurrentVersion\Setup\Installation Sources C:\i386\Lang

kevsim

I thank you all for the input.
I tried all the remedies for SFC but none of them worked.
What I finally did was downloaded SP2 to my Desktop and ran it from there, now I can run SFC without any CD in the drive, I left the registry settings modified as stated previously.
As the System Files would all be new, I did not expect any changes to be made.
Everything is now OK.
Also as I had IE7 and Windows Media Player 11 installed, it did not change them.

I did have some concerns that I should have burnt a CD and put SP2 on it, as I am not sure what will happen in the future if any System Files are changed or corrupted.

Now it is a waiting game to see what happens.
kevsim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back