XP takes more than 15 minutes to shut down. please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caladaidoomblad

I've had this problem for some time now, and I have run out of ideas about what to do about it. I've used a lot of anti-spyware scans, virusscans and I've been using crapcleaner for some time now, but it has made no difference. If I shut down my computer (or restart) it shuts all programs, and then keeps running for between 15 and 20 minutes:zzz: before it finally turns of the computer.

It's just annoying:( , and it makes me wonder what windows thinks it's doing in that time.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Does it go to the part where it says "Windows is Shutting down"?

Does it get stuck on "Windows is Saving Information"?

Because if it gets stuck on the above part ( Windows is saving information ) then it's probably something wrong with windows, try Defragmenting or reformating.

typically it is a .dll file or Driver that causes the problem of long shutdowns.

mmm, well if it is stuck on "windows is shutting down" then its windows. if it isnt stuck, there then it is probably a program that is still running. You should do a defragmenter, and see if that works. if that doesnt work, you should do a windows xp non destructive repair. Theres no need to reformat. Also you can try running chkdsk /r on DOS

It's stuck on 'windows shutting down'. I hoped it might be a .dll program, but I closed the one I suspected before shutting down and it didn't make a difference. How do I do a windows non destructive repair? (never heard of it)

Thanks!

Thanks everyone, but I figured it out. Zonealarm was kinda screwed up and crashing my system every time I tried to shut it down. It was the problem that caused my long shutdown times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back