XP very slow on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideliner2

I am not sure if I'm on the correct board so please advise.
When I restart, XP pauses at USB Devices for 10 or 15 seconds then moves to autodetect 6th master IDE HD and pauses for another 15 or more seconds. After that it moves to XP Professional/Recovery console menu. Choosing XP takes me to black screen with flashing cursor for another lengthly wait before moving to logon on screen. Sorry for the wordy message. Do you think this is a virus or OS problem.

SL2

I was wrong.

Re installing recovery console only helped for a short time. It now takes minutes to boot up and sometimes hangs at a black screen until I reboot. Can I follow Howards directions in the sticky and post HJT log on this thread or should I start a new thread?
SL2

Hi,

You may post in this thread after following all 15 steps. Do attach only the requested 3 logs, and in your reply, provide details of the results of the AVG Anti Rootkit scan.

Thanks.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Sideliner2 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Posted logs

The AVG Antirootkit scan reported nothing. Current symptoms being exibited are very slow start up at boot. Startup pauses for one min or more at "USB Devices 2 hubs 5 devices" and another min or longer at "auto detect primary master ide hard drive" then it goes on to id 3, 4, and 6 masters. This machine has two 250g sata HD, one rack mount 160g sata HD, and usd enclosure holding 120g that is not sata.

I have attached HJT AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs.

Hi,

Your HijackThis and ComboFix logs look relatively clean.

However I noticed that your AVG log displays 'No Action Taken' for all the files detected.

I suggest you run AVG again and quarantine the files. Pictorial instructions HERE.

Also, Have HijackThis fix the following entries:

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - (no file)
O4 - Global Startup: APC UPS Status.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: MagicTune 3.6.lnk = ?
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Sideliner2 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

all requests performed

Momok
Thanks for the help. I followed all your suggestions. I now feel that my slow boot problem is not virus or malware driven. Not sure how to fix it(see my first post). I have not tried fixmbr. The message MS pops up in Recovery Console is scary. I'll keep picking at it.
sl2

check your BIOS boot sequence; as normally we boot from the HD, make it
first in the boot sequence. If you need a CD or USB boot, you can change it
at that time. Some BIOS will allow a temporary boot from a specific device
eg: my laptop has F12 defined to Pick Boot Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back