XP will not load locally stored profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippo430

Windows XP gives message that it cannot load locally stored profile. I cannot access any files (Word, Excell mostly), Outlook info not accessible, all settings gone. Don't know if any connection, but installed Explorer 11 yesterday. The message said it my local profile may be corrupted. Don't know if this resulted from downloading and installing IE 11. Any indeas/
Thanks,

You may have a virus. There is no Explorer 11 or Internet Explorer 11 that I know of. Sorry.

Regarding possible virus

Kimsland,
Thanks for your help. I am in the process of trying the 8-step removal but wil plow through nonetheless. Will inform you on my progress.

Couple of questions regarding the 8-step process. Regarding step 3, how do I know what are and where are the File Sharing/P2P programs? Also, will it be necessary or a possible necessity to re-install Windows XP? If so, I have misplaced my copy that came with the PC I purchased almost 5 years ago.
Thanks

Thanks,
Is there anyway to disable Comodo firewall that I installed per Step 1? If it is not necessary in this process that would be helpful. It keeps popping up asking for permissions, etc. I don't see it as a program and cannot find its location in my PC.

-> No action taken on MBAM scan, for found issues
Download and Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. <========= Not Done

Please re-run Malwarebytes
Confirm updated (third tab) As your Malwarebytes was not updated
Then do the above quoted message, but this time "Remove all found issues"

By the way, you will need to then restart, and run (and attach) a new HJT log

--------------------

I also notice you have presently installed:
  • Avast
  • Comodo Internet Security (usually comes with Antivirus)
  • Spyware Doctor
I would suggest that if Comodo also has AntiVirus installed with the Internet Security package; that you decide to either fully uninstall either Avast or Comodo (your choice of which one) This is because you can only have one AntiVirus software installed at a time.

Regarding Spyware Doctor, as it is shown as running in your logs, it may be best to just uninstall the software package. I don't think it's doing much anyway, according to your found malwares. I normally don't recommend Spyware Doctor at all.

------------------

Lastly, you need to create a New Thread in the Virus & Malware removal forum, to have your logs checked. This thread about corrupted profile, seems to be a Virus/Malware issue.
ie Do not attach your next set of logs here. Create a New Thread as we are presently in Windows OS forum ;)

Trouble connecting to internet

Kimsland,
Part of the trouble I am experiencing is that for most of the programs (malware, hijack this, etc) when I attempt to update I encounter the following: for Malwarebytes "Update failed, make sure you are connected to the internet and your firewall is set to allow Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to access the internet." My IE does not function but am able to access internet via Firefox so don't know what the problem is there.
Comodo is only installed as firewall and not as anti-virus. When I try to update the firewall program, I get a message that it is not able to connect to the internet.
For step 6 regarding updating Java, I was not able to access internet even when on their site via Firefox.
Any ideas?

Yes I always have ideas ;)

Here is the manual update for Malwarebytes: http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/database.jsp

Disregard updating Java (for the moment)
You could also run JavaRa
Run JavaRa
This will remove all your old Java stuff (that is not required)
It will also help you check for new Java updates

And it may be a good idea to remove Comodo (firewall) and re-install once complete

Try that ;)
Although I do hope to see the new thread on the Virus Malware removal forum, with the three logs :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back