Yahoo shuts down several more underperforming services

Shawn Knight

Staff member

yahoo summer cleaning shuts xobni acquisition -performing produc

Yahoo went on a tear last spring, closing down more than a dozen underperforming services as part of a broader streamlining effort to focus on core products. Over the past year, the Internet pioneer has continued to evaluate some of their less popular products and is once again performing a cleanup job that'll see several more services bite the bullet.

Some of the changes have already taken place. For example, Yahoo shut down the Newlook service, an online virtual makeover tool for maktoob.yahoo.com, and the ability to generate research reports on Yahoo Finance on April 30.

The company also pulled the plug on bookmarks.yahoo.com on May 26 and closed Yahoo People Search yesterday. Furthermore, Yahoo has shut down xobni.com and the Smartr Product Suite primarily because they've already incorporated many of the features from that acquisition into Yahoo Mail.

Looking to the future, the Yahoo Toolbar will be removed from the Chrome web store on by July 22. Instead, they will offer the Yahoo Extension for Chrome moving forward. Yahoo Shine - a site dedicated to women - will come to an end on July 31, the same day that voices.yahoo.com will be shut down.

Last but not least, contributor.yahoo.com will go dark at the end of August, we're told.

Yahoo said that by focusing their energy on four core areas - Search, Communications, Digital Magazines and Video - and the two engines that power them, Flickr and Tumblr, they can make a bigger impact on the things people do everyday.

Permalink to story.

As long as I can remember, yahoo is already there, 'powering' the internet. (1996?)
I can't remember though if the ads of today (in internet searches) are as bad or worse than before.

google's rise as an internet search engine to its position today as hardware and software company is a prime example of evolution. those who fail to adapt will wither and die.

yahoo re-inventing itself? why not.
maybe it should even jump into the windows phone/tablet bandwagon to counter the influence of the gigantic google android ecosystem.

and lol, when email providers cut cost and limit email folder size to 1mb total, I used briefcase.yahoo.com, the 'cloud service' of its era to expand my 'internet folder'. (if I'm not mistaken, yahoo briefcase closed down four years ago.)

I only need one thing for yahoo to shut down. the add servers and spam. Did I say add servers? Because I want the add servers gone.

I only need one thing for yahoo to shut down. the add servers and spam. Did I say add servers? Because I want the add servers gone.
yup, you said 'add servers' twice. and add =/= ad (ads aka advertisement) :)

most free internet services today, if not all, have some sort of ads system that helps it defray the cost of maintaining the service. (I don't know how little or how significant the amount is.)

the free apps I got from google play store for my phones have ads in them. (I wasn't able to grab the ad-block for android before it was taken down.)

almost all tech forums/websites/email services that I'm aware of also have ads in them with options to eliminate the ads if a user avails of paid subscription.

LOL, That image does portray her as a fairy dressed in a blue dress and gold shoes. I do question where she left her magic wand though.
Probably in that void, "whose name may not be spoken here", of which she doesn't have the time or inclination to fill with a boy blue faery....;)

@cliffordcooley, Nice setup for that one, Cliff....!(y)

Back