Yahoo to auction off more than 100 long-lost domains this week

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Yahoo will soon be auctioning off a number of prominent domain names they own but never used through auction house Sedo. Given Marissa Mayer’s push to hone in on core services and experiences this past year, it’s a wonder it took so long for the domains to be put on the market.

At some point over the past 19 years, Yahoo acquired a wealth of domain names that ultimately went unused. According to a blog post on the subject, these domains were forgotten about until someone stumbled across the list not too long ago.

yahoo

The only obvious thing to do with them, it would seem, was to set them free back into the wild of the Internet. As the saying goes, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Surely there are some creative people, businesses and entrepreneurs that could use some of the domains.

Starting tomorrow, more than a hundred domains like sandwich.com, crackers.com, av.com, jockeys.com, sled.com and blogsport.com will go up for auction during a week-long event. There are some odd-ball domains in the mix as well including laun.com, fonzo.com and batoota.com. Some of the less desirable domains are priced in the $1,000 to $4,999 range while higher tier properties will require a bid of at least $1 million to get started.

If you don’t see anything of interest just yet, don’t fret. Yahoo said they will be adding more domain names as the week goes on meaning there could still be a few hidden gems waiting to be sold to the highest bidder.

Permalink to story.

This is one of the reasons I wish ICANN or some governing body would retract domains that aren't actually being used to host a site. any of these domains could have been put to a better use for years, instead of parked idly and ultimately forgotten.

This is one of the reasons I wish ICANN or some governing body would retract domains that aren't actually being used to host a site. any of these domains could have been put to a better use for years, instead of parked idly and ultimately forgotten.

I'd agree except that with so many domain substrings now like .co, .org, .xxx, etc you can still get the basic name easily enough. More worried about running out of IPs than domain names right now (although most PCs support IPv6 now which solves the IP problem for a few more centuries).

I own pathofexile.tv, I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Currently it has a few static streams, but I'd may have it professionally developed. Otherwise I suppose I could sell it, or hold onto it like I usually do with domains.

What makes you think that anyone would have the ability to put it to better use? Someone may go with a bad idea and could put up a poor execution of a product. Or even worse, put up photos of their pet. Do you know why domains have a high price?

1) They may have purchased it from another party.
2) it's a valuable asset. I get offers from people everyday to buy domains from me. If I sold it to the first person that offered me $20, I'd be an ***** cause I know there would be a better offer from someone else. Do you know what that means? Its valuable.
3) just because there are ads on a site, it doesn't mean its not being put to use. It means someone is making money on their asset by offering other goods and services.
4) You'll never know the story behind a dead domain. There may be legal issues that can render it useless.

excuse me for making these points but I get annoyed when people don't think about their statements.

Back