Your Honest Opinion on this Laptop Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

I am in the market of purchasing a laptop for my daughter for college papers, research, online work and downloads, Windows Office applications, and DVD burning. Any gaming will be very light. I have only recently started looking into laptops so your opinions are welcome. Budget is maximum of $900 but $750 is more like it. I would want to XP Pro with 1 Gig, but I am flexible.

Anyway, someone made this offer to me and I'd like your honest opinion. I am aware that it is 2.5 years old and that I probably will be better off with a new er model. Still it is loaded in many ways, but is it worth $750-$900 for a 2.5 year old machine? Thanks.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T42 for sale. It is a 15" SXGA+ (1400x1050), Pentium M 2.0GHz (not dual core, but still very fast), 100GB 7200RPM hard drive, ATI Radeon 9600 graphics, and 1GB+ RAM (I need to get some spare RAM for it, only 256MB in it now - but will add 1GB+). It has an a/b/g wireless card and DVDRW as well. I have a six cell, nine cell, and Ultrabay (replaces optical drive) battery. I also have a 2.5" hard drive bay that goes in place of the optical drive as well. Finally, I have a Mini Dock which is basically a full port replicator (USB, PS/2, Serial, Parallel, Network, Modem, etc) AND a DVI output for an LCD monitor. It has a full warranty with accidental damage coverage that is valid through August - you may be able to extend it, I'm not sure.

I paid $2000 for this machine about 2.5 years ago, not including the extra batteries & the dock (it only came with a CDRW/DVDROM initially as well). Everything is in great condition and it has worked excellent for me.

I'm sure we can come to a price in your budget, and honestly it would be a lot better built than the N100

The T42 is an awesome machine. I have one myself :)
The price is right, especially with all the extra hardware.

Now, the warranty and age can be a problem. Such an old machine may have suffered some damage and may have flaws that warranty doesn't cover. Someone might have dropped the thing and the case/frame could be cracked. User-replaced hard drives and additional RAM is not under warranty etc etc. The batteries are probably half-dead. My machine is the same age and it runs for about an hour on the original battery.

If possible, you should examine the machine before buying it. Look for cracks, wobbly screen, loose/broken keys etc etc.

Overall, that's not a bad price, but as Nodsu said, the warranty and age could be a problem. If no gaming is involved, nor any "intensive" applications, I would suggest a bottom-of-the-line laptop. I say this because is your daughter going to use all of these features?

(Random):
I like your location :D !

any laptop 2.5 years old is really long in the tooth. But the brand is decent. But if all your daughter is going to do is productivity and simple games then it's ok.... and IBM/Lenovo is a very good brand. It''s worth about $700 considering it has a fast HD and 1gb ram already in there with the amenities it also has. Your daughter will need an optical drive for school though. Ensure to ask how long the battery life is.

Thanks to all who replied. Everyone had good, sound advice which is why this place is so valuable: Many knowlegable people. I'm always learning something new.

The laptop is sight unseen. There is no way I can look at it and therefore there is no way I can justify the spending of $. If I could look it over then maybe I would seriously consider it.

I continue to do a ton of research on laptops but there is so much out there. if you guys have any suggestions that would fit my budget range of $750 to $800 and would be good for the parameters I listed in my first post it would be appreciated. If I have to go Vista so be it, but XP would be preferable.

Any good and reputable refurbished stores? I know Dell, Toshiba, and Lenovo have refurbished models but by the time you get done it costs the same - sometimes more ! - than a new one.

cfitzarl: I really like your location! :) Boston is one of the best places on the planet. My daughter will be going to a private college in Quincy.

This may be a little too much money(there's a rebate, but the initial price is higher).

Lenovo N100, T2060(1.60GHz), 15.4" Wide XGA, 1GB, 80GB 5400rpm, DVD Burner, GMA950

$860-100MIR

ttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146276

Seems like a decent machine for the price.
It also still has xp pro.

First check it up for any cracks, battery life, user services such as ram , HDD replacement, if everthing satisfies you then T42 is a excellent model, price may increase or decrease that lays on the exact quality left on that piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back