YouTube introduces HDR support, bringing sharp and vibrant colors to select videos

midian182

Staff member

Good news for those people lucky enough to own a High Dynamic Range (HDR) television: YouTube just got an upgrade to support HDR videos, which have a wider range of vibrant colors, a higher contrast, brighter whites, and blacker blacks.

As you can see in the simulated image below, the difference between standard dynamic range and HDR is huge. There still aren’t a huge number of devices that support the technology, but if you happen to own one that does, make sure to check out this playlist where you can watch all the new clips in their dazzling glory.

YouTube partnered with select channels, including MysteryGuitarMan, Jacob & Katie Schwarz, and Abandon Visuals to bring the new HDR content to viewers. An HDR badge will appear on supported videos, and a search filter will arrive at a later date.

Anyone can upload using the format, though you’ll have to grade videos using the Rec 2020 color gamut, and you can’t currently edit HDR videos with YouTube’s Web editor. The company says it worked with the DaVinci Resolve team to make HDR video uploads as simple as uploading standard video.

You’ll be able to watch YouTube's HDR content on supported devices, including the Chromecast Ultra and all of Samsung’s SUHD and UHD TVs.

While High Dynamic Range is still in the early stages of its life, more companies are bringing the technology to its services. Now that YouTube has joined Netflix and Amazon Prime Video in offering HDR, could the format eventually become as universal as HD, rather than another 3D?

Permalink to story.

It's nice, but as improvements go they could have saved their money. People are there for the content, not just the "pretty pictures" ....

Nice to witness some great improvements on part of Youtube. Always striving to up their game by introducing new cutting edge technologies.

2016-11-08-image.png

The frame on the left is pure unadulterated garbage. It has no color saturation, is flat as Kansas with respect to having almost no discernible contrast.

The image on the right, is what might be expected directly out of camera, with a decent pro-sumer camera.

So why is YouTube trying to bullsh!t people that's not the case?

True HRG imaging requires multiple images per frame, at least that's the way Photoshop and other programs accomplish it.

It's seems like a lot of trouble to go to, to steal, then enhance, someone's copyrighted music video, but I suppose that's what YouTube is about.

Here, judge for yourselves:

One can have good results to by simply using a polarizing filter. HDR has to be well managed or an image can look so awfully artificial.

"As you can see in the simulated image below, the difference between standard dynamic range and HDR is huge."

"We washed this shirt in Super Brillo washing powder, and the other shirt with a cheese grater. Look at how non-shredded the Brillo shirt turned out!"

Come on Techspot, you can do better than insult our intelligence with this. As captaincranky said, the "simulated" comparison is fake as hell simply removing all the color from the normal shot. This nonsense is right up there with high street stores comparing a $500 HDMI cable to a $2 one on the same side by side model of TV, whilst "forgetting" to mention the set the cheaper cable is plugged into has intentionally messed up contrast, brightness and black levels or is fed off a different backroom source...

If you can see any difference in a side by side comparison on a non-HDR monitor, then what you're seeing isn't HDR. And if you need to fake "simulated" images to such a dishonest degree as end up laughably comparing an almost black & white / glorified sepia image to color, then it's pretty much an open admission most non-"enthusiasts" aren't missing out on much in reality...

One can have good results to by simply using a polarizing filter. HDR has to be well managed or an image can look so awfully artificial.
Much of what I've seen in still photography, is intended to look artificial. Er, excuse me, it's been done to artistic effect.
HDR_USS_Midway_uhd.jpg

I'm sure that's what people would like to remember, but it's not likely what the actually saw.

Ppfffttt This eye candy below at the link on bottom is likely better than compressed 4K SDR/HDR You Tube videos

You can download these high bit depth 4K SDR and 4K HDR demo loops free at the link below .A lot of them are from Samsung,Sony,LG ,Pamasonic etc .<<< Way better thgan a Blue Ray .

You can play them on a 4K HDR-10 TV with a USB HDD or flash drive with a Kodi app for your smart TV or maybe whatever player you have in it but Kodi plays all the hires codecs... VLC and the others not so much ,most of these are .MKV .

You can do all this on a PC that can put 4K HDR into a 4K HDR TV or 4K HDR monitor also or just download them with any PC or just watch the very good 4K SDR eye candy demos on an SDR 4K TV or monitor.

Intel Haswell Core i3,i5,i7 or newer Intel CPU integrated graphics IGPU can do 4K SDR if you override the resultion in windows to 4K (3840 x 2160 ) for a 4K TV , 4K HDR from a PC will probably need a d/GPU with HDMI 2.0 or 2.0a and HDR support

Windows 10 still thinks 4K TV's are 1080p TV sets ☺.

I have a 55" 4K HDR Sony XBR TV in here and I can play these eye candy demos in 4K HDR from the USB HDD with Andoid Kodi or at least at @ 4K SDR from my Haswell Core i5 PC to the TV .
You usually can't get this quality and chroma depth from an 4K HDR IPTV stream or from You Tube .

Eye candy link : http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?cat=demouhd

Sony-X9300D-hero.jpg

Last edited:
S, One can have good results to by simply using a polarizing filter. HDR has to be well managed or an image can look so awfully artificial.

Right, setting hires HDR photos aside which is different from 4K /4K HDR video in most respects I have a 4K HDR Sony XBR TV and a Haswell Core i5 PC w/ the Core i5 IGPU in here that can do at least 2160p SDR but maybe not HDR in the PC.

I play HDR content here in the streaming 4K HDR IPTV apps in the 4K HDR TV or from an USB HDD (with Andoid KODI here ) in the TV ,

Good UHD - HDR video results are variable across all the 4K HDR content .it depends on the care and quality of the content bit depth and the mastering even on UHD HDR BD ,some of that is just up-scaled from 2K intermediates you have to know what you get ..☺

Last edited:
2016-11-08-image.png

The frame on the left is pure unadulterated garbage. It has no color saturation, is flat as Kansas with respect to having almost no discernible contrast.

The image on the right, is what might be expected directly out of camera, with a decent pro-sumer camera.

So why is YouTube trying to bullsh!t people that's not the case?

True HRG imaging requires multiple images per frame, at least that's the way Photoshop and other programs accomplish it.

It's seems like a lot of trouble to go to, to steal, then enhance, someone's copyrighted music video, but I suppose that's what YouTube is about.

Here, judge for yourselves:

Right the image on the left is a terrible SDR image it like like its on a cheap mis adjusted 2003 TN monitor from timbuck two a decnt SDR image looks way better than all that

What this article fails to mention is that HDR is wholly the difference from black to the peak brightness highlights up to 4000 NITS and beyond (up to 10,000 NIT's) in a reference DV hdr monitor and it can be any 10 -14 bit wide color gamut - color space but there are no full rec 2020 content or screens for consumers .

Most the HDR video we have today is up to 10 bit DCI P3 digital theater color within bt2020 and ~ 500-1800 .. NIT highlight peaks on a TV at home if you include the brightest consumer TV, a Sony XBR 12 bit color processing ZD9 HDR TV .

There are no consumer TV or PC monitors that can make full rec 2020 outside of professional DV HDR color grading monitors .

I have a 2015 Sony XBR HDR set and it can do DCI P3 10 bit color but not bt2020 .
HDR implies a wide color gamut but HDR is not a color space .

Last edited:
Back