YouTube is experimenting with a tool that checks for copyright violations during video...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In context: The tool adds yet another layer of protection for YouTube in its fight to keep unauthorized / pirated material off its site. It also seems equally equipped to help prevent content creators from accidentally uploading video featuring copyrighted material, thus leading to strikes, demonetization or even suspensions after the offending video has been published.

YouTube is reportedly taking additional steps to curb videos featuring copyrighted material from being uploaded to its platform.

Social media consultant and industry commentator Matt Navarra was the first to notice the new feature. When uploading a video to YouTube, he was presented with a new screen noting that YouTube will check the video for copyright issues that may restrict its visibility.

Per the notice, users will have the opportunity to fix any issues that may arise before publishing. In this instance, however, no copyright issues were found during the process.

Imagine losing out on income, or worse, being kicked off the platform entirely, simply for accidentally including a few seconds of background music in one of your videos.

Last month, police officers in Beverly Hills appeared to be intentionally playing copyrighted music while being filmed, likely in an attempt to trigger a copyright strike if it were posted on social media.

Masthead courtesy DenPhotos

Permalink to story.

Uploading a 2 to 3 hour video only to find out it was instantly demonetized due to 30 seconds of some stupid background music is annoying.

Worse, it can take hours (days) to have YouTube’s software edit the music out.

I do like the “mute song option” but I feel that remonitization needs to be instantaneous so we don’t lose any money.

In fact, they might as well AUTO mute copyrighted material and even auto blur copyrighted material.

I'm sure "help" will result in "You've just lost 80% of your content, even if you could be legally entitled to dispute content, because of 5 seconds of a song someone doesn't even legitimately own the rights to was recognized in the background"

Come on: we all know who this measure is really helping: media corporations that just want to mold youtube into the toilet of their failing TV content and the pitiful remains of the music industry.

Uploading a 2 to 3 hour video only to find out it was instantly demonetized due to 30 seconds of some stupid background music is annoying.

Worse, it can take hours (days) to have YouTube’s software edit the music out.

I do like the “mute song option” but I feel that remonitization needs to be instantaneous so we don’t lose any money.

In fact, they might as well AUTO mute copyrighted material and even auto blur copyrighted material.

Yeah that sucks but you should look out for copyrighted music. Need music? Artlist, Epidemic, Musicbed and even YouTube has great popular music that you can use (but if you do you wont be able to monetize).

Yeah that sucks but you should look out for copyrighted music. Need music? Artlist, Epidemic, Musicbed and even YouTube has great popular music that you can use (but if you do you wont be able to monetize).

The problem is recording LIVE and suddenly copyrighted music is played in the background that you have no control over.

As one that will never be offered monetization on YouTube, neat but whatever.

And their flagging algorithm is weird. I uploaded 3 videos last month from Forza Horizon 4 where I had some music playing via VLC while racing.
Only one of the videos got flagged for Claim.
The other two videos contain parts of songs off the same album by the same band, and one has half a song by another band in it as well, nothing on those.

/Quake videos get claim flagged immediately if you include the music

Back