YouTube removes 210 channels linked to disinformation campaign against Hong Kong protests

midian182

Staff member
In brief: YouTube has announced it has disabled 210 channels that were working in a coordinated effort to spread misinformation about the Hong Kong protests.

On Monday, it was reported that Twitter was running ads from the Chinese government-backed Xinhua news agency that attacked the Hong Kong protesters, but the platform quickly said it would ban ads from state-backed media companies. Additionally, both Twitter and Facebook have suspended thousands of active accounts that tried to discredit the protests.

“These accounts were deliberately and specifically attempting to sow political discord in Hong Kong, including undermining the legitimacy and political positions of the protest movement on the ground,” Twitter said.

Now, YouTube has also removed accounts for engaging in the same activities. “Earlier this week, as part of our ongoing efforts to combat coordinated influence operations, we disabled 210 channels on YouTube when we discovered channels in this network behaved in a coordinated manner while uploading videos related to the ongoing protests in Hong Kong,” wrote Shane Huntley, from Google’s Threat Analysis Group. “This discovery was consistent with recent observations and actions related to China announced by Facebook and Twitter.”

Unlike Twitter, however, YouTube doesn’t plan to change its advertising policies for state-controlled media outlets, though it did tell Reuters that it would soon be expanding its labeling of state-backed media outlets in the region.

The protests began as opposition to a bill proposed by the Hong Kong government, which would have allowed the extradition of criminals incarcerated in Hong Kong to China. While the bill was suspended on June 15, pro-democracy demonstrations have continued.

YouTube has refused to release details on what content was uploaded to the now-disabled accounts, so we don’t know if the same videos appeared on every channel.

Image credit: Studio Incendo via flickr

Permalink to story.

They've also once again closed a pletora of accounts that have nothing to do with it. Mostly conservatives for talking with Tommy Robinson among things.

What is misinformation? Is google down there in the streets of hong kong to do fact checks???
No it was simply political pressure.

Take that Chinese schizo paranoid officials! You keep your people as if they were sheep, but if you gotta spread your lies here you gotta learn to play smarter!
They wont though, because it has been tried before, remember? "All people some time some people a long time but not all people all times."

Btw, when you read news from china, Chinese trolls are very easy to spot. They use very polite grammatically correct language and are always pro Chinese government.

Disinformation?

How can I be sure?

Many people who buy the Fox News, Conservative, "they're communists" Talk line about what's happening buy the LIE that this is about China simply bullying Hong Kong and Taiwan using their military.

People who actually know what's happening know that this is about a murder and extradition treaty (or lack there of) and that China's assistance was asked for due to the violence of the protesters against the police.

Disinformation?

How can I be sure?

Many people who buy the Fox News, Conservative, "they're communists" Talk line about what's happening buy the LIE that this is about China simply bullying Hong Kong and Taiwan using their military.

People who actually know what's happening know that this is about a murder and extradition treaty (or lack there of) and that China's assistance was asked for due to the violence of the protesters against the police.
Anybody who knows about Communist China and Hong Kong, or has any common sense, knows that this is really about taking away the last vestiges of freedom Hong Kong has left. Very sad to see, Hong Kong was so much better off without Communist oppression. The freedom it enjoyed in 2000 when I was there was in stark contrast to what I saw in Communist China. Freedom from persecution being a pretty big difference.

Anybody who knows about Communist China and Hong Kong, or has any common sense, knows that this is really about taking away the last vestiges of freedom Hong Kong has left. Very sad to see, Hong Kong was so much better off without Communist oppression. The freedom it enjoyed in 2000 when I was there was in stark contrast to what I saw in Communist China. Freedom from persecution being a pretty big difference.

I have one question for you: What years did you live in The People's Republic of China?

Disinformation?

How can I be sure?

Clear as mud

I noticed in America Facebook and news stations don't want video's and pics being passed around of Hong Kong protesters actually favoring America and had our flags waiving and some singing the national anthem.

I already stated when I was in Communist China.

I missed that post. You could have stated it right now instead of the sentence you did type.

And BY THE WAY... I didn't just ask "when you were there" I asked the Years you were there.

Because thus far, I'm thinking you have no background whatsoever.

Disinformation?

How can I be sure?

What?

Asked by whom? The local police? HK population has been steadily behaving within boundaries until this week when it scalated to an incendiary bomb, but not before the HK Police started shooting tear gas canister to the sky knowingly well that those kind of canister are meant to be shoot right to the floor.

You know why it hasn't scalated much more? Because the moment HK people start behaving more violently china will step in and there'll be a Tiananmen 2.0

Disinformation?

How can I be sure?

What?

Asked by whom? The local police? HK population has been steadily behaving within boundaries until this week when it scalated to an incendiary bomb, but not before the HK Police started shooting tear gas canister to the sky knowingly well that those kind of canister are meant to be shoot right to the floor.

You know why it hasn't scalated much more? Because the moment HK people start behaving more violently china will step in and there'll be a Tiananmen 2.0

I fear it could be, most people don't realize how brutal Tiananmen Square ended up being. Shooting / Killing protestors and ambulance / per-medics that arrived. Running over the bodied with heavy machinery so they could power wash the remains away.

I fear it could be, most people don't realize how brutal Tiananmen Square ended up being. Shooting / Killing protestors and ambulance / per-medics that arrived. Running over the bodied with heavy machinery so they could power wash the remains away.

“China is the end of white supremacist racism and American Military Adventurism”

-Steve Bannon

When will they start deleting feminist and leftist propaganda sites? Oh, wait, yeah... they can't delete CNN...

“China is the end of white supremacist racism and American Military Adventurism”

-Steve Bannon

So... go China?

I don't even live in the States, but I'd rather deal with racism which luckily is not institutionalized yet, than living in a country that wants me to be whatever the hell the official religion and if not, being "reeducated". A country where the sole fact of mentioning the four T's would likely get you disappeared. A country where winnie the pooh is enough to break one man's ego and get prosecuted by that.

Social merit is way beyond dystopian and the sole fact that it is so easily manipulable is a freaking joke. You don't like your neighbor? Just dial 1-800-IMMASNITCH and tell them you hear him praying in another language. Wanna go on a vacation outside the country? You better behave and rack up points in order to leave.

Xi Jinping already removed the limit of times a president can lead a country ( https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/c...rs-prompting-talk-of-mao-20180226-p4z1sg.html ) and that doesn't raise a flag for you?

Anyway, China is the best country with the best leader, citizens get treated very well and paid fairly. President Xi Jinping is so handsome and doesn't look like winnie the pooh.

There is no war in Ba Sing Se

Joo_Dee.png

Google is the good guy here, this time.

haha, what a joke !

Keep telling yourself that !

When Google is gonna do it on every piece of "news" they want to show it to us (the audience) they will make sure to take down every opposition or "competition" from their "personal truth" (ministry of truth < google > ).

Even if those channels were in the wrong, google should not have that power, nobody should.

You either watch or pass the next video.

haha, what a joke !

Keep telling yourself that !

When Google is gonna do it on every piece of "news" they want to show it to us (the audience) they will make sure to take down every opposition or "competition" from their "personal truth" (ministry of truth < google > ).

Even if those channels were in the wrong, google should not have that power, nobody should.

You either watch or pass the next video.

If you don't want them to have that power just stop using YT. Easy ;)

I have an overwhelming feeling that anything I read about these protests can't be trusted as fact. I used to enjoy reading a story from perspectives. Be it from major outlets like CNN, Fox to other independent new outlets. Then even trying to find info from the source location, blogs and social media from those supposedly there. Now it sounds like are heading towards only Google approved sources. I'm sure don't won't have any financial conflict of interests on major news events.

Back