YouTube to rebrand streaming music effort as 'Music Key'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

youtube music key google

Remember Music Pass, the yet-to-launch streaming music service from YouTube? After months of delays that ultimately resulted in the division's product manager parting ways with the company, the service may finally be coming together under a completely new name according to a report from Android Police.

The publication claims the service will now be called YouTube Music Key. Furthermore, Google Play Music All Access will also be rebranded as Google Play Music Key. It may not be the best choice of names but it's better than Google's current cumbersome selection.

All of this is backed up by a smattering of screenshots.

youtube music key google

YouTube Music Key looks as though it'll offer ad-free tunes, audio-only playback and offline playback from a catalog of over 20 million high-quality tracks. This is said to include complete albums organized into artist discographies as well as concert footage, covers and remixes.

Users can try the service out free for 30 days. After that, it'll set you back $9.99 per month. The interesting bit here is that the price appears to include both YouTube Music Key and Google Play Music Key.

The one crucial part of information that is still missing, however, is a launch date. We've heard rumors that Google has run into some content licensing issues already so perhaps those haven't been fully ironed out just yet.

With any luck, we'll hear (no pun intended) something more on the matter very soon.

Permalink to story.

It all has been available already, with the use of the right plug-ins, to get rid of the ads and to just download the music tracks.

I'm certainly never going to entertain the thought paying 10 bucks a month for a music service, I highly doubt I'd use it even if it was free forever. It's just not for me.

I'm certainly never going to entertain the thought paying 10 bucks a month for a music service, I highly doubt I'd use it even if it was free forever. It's just not for me.

Id use it if it was free, I mean, it's "free" afterall. However pay per month? Come on, if I were to add all the little $5 payments for Music, Movies, TV, Broadband id be shelling out few hundred dollars a month. Then again, I guess it all depends on your priorities and non of them are life essentials but still!

Id use it if it was free, I mean, it's "free" afterall. However pay per month? Come on, if I were to add all the little $5 payments for Music, Movies, TV, Broadband id be shelling out few hundred dollars a month. Then again, I guess it all depends on your priorities and non of them are life essentials but still!
Yup. All these $1 p/m subs add up to something substantial eventually.

Since I havn't really been following the matter too much: is it really going to affect small labels and independents much? Nearly all the EDM I listen to on promotional channels are such. As far as I read in other articles it just affects what Google deems a large enough label.

Back