YouTube TV is receiving a $5 price hike and a host of new channels

Polycount

Staff

Google's YouTube TV streaming service arrived last April. The service initially launched in only five markets but expanded quickly with Google adding additional networks and features since its debut.

As reported by Engadget, YouTube is expanding upon their service once more by adding several channels from the Turner network including TNT, TBS, CNN, Turner Classic Movies and Cartoon Network, just to name a few.

Unfortunately for some, sizable service expansions such as this lead to price hikes and YouTube TV's upcoming update is no exception. The service will be receiving a $5 price increase beginning March 13, effectively raising its monthly cost from $35 to $40.

This isn't an unprecedented move for a streaming service. Platforms like Netflix have instituted similar cost increases in the past, usually intended to reflect increased customer value over time. In this case, YouTube TV's $5 price increase also serves to bring its costs in line with a few of its competitors, such as PlayStation Vue and Hulu's live TV plan, both of which also cost $40.

Permalink to story.

Just in time for me to cut my subscription. I see less and less value with broadcast television. I mostly used youtubetv to watch sports. Now that football is over, I don't need it anymore. Adding five bucks to my bill just made that easier.

Jeez, I got perfect reception of the Superbowl with just a pair of amplified rabbit ears. Cost, $40.00! Or one month's cost for a subscription to YouTube. The fact I've watched the last ten Superbowls on the same antenna, shouldn't affect anyone's decision to subscribe at all.

Besides, I thought all those crap channels are what cable companies used to tell you what a great value you're getting , when they padded your bill to $200.00 a month..

Buy the time you've subscribed to Netflix, YouTube, HBO, Hulu, and the streaming service Disney is rumored to be starting, you'll be back to that $200.00 a month cable bill you were griping so bitterly about....:D

Last edited:
"Turner network including TNT, TBS, CNN, Turner Classic Movies and Cartoon Network"

So youtube thinks anybody would be willing to pay another $60 a year to watch this garbage?

You'd have to pay ME $60 a year to watch CNN fore more then 5 minutes without changing the channel.

Seriously, $40 a month? I can get internet and cable for $30 a month. What does google think the value is, watching mass media trash on the go?

I guess ill be the only one not cranky about this? $40 for 6 users with DVR and a clean app... I'll take it.

Back