YouTube TV's monthly price has been raised from $40 to $50

Polycount

Staff

YouTube's Sling TV and PlayStation Vue competitor, aptly named YouTube TV, has given customers a pretty good value so far. For a mere $35/month, subscribers used to get access to unlimited DVR storage space, live sports, news, and TV shows from a wide variety of channels - including the likes of AMC, NBC, and the BBC.

Compared to complicated cable packages with contracts, cable boxes, and more channels than you could ever possibly watch (while being billed to match), YouTube TV has proven to be a pretty solid TV alternative for many users.

However, the service's price was bumped up to $40 back in February of 2018 to reflect the new channel offerings YouTube TV has received. Now, the price is being raised yet again, this time all the way up to $50 per month - $55 if you're billing through Apple.

Of course, such a significant price hike isn't coming without a few benefits. Now, you'll be able to watch content from eight Discovery channels, including Animal Planet, Food Network, HGTV, Investigation Discover, TLC, the Travel Channel, and MotorTrend. These new offerings bring YouTube TV's total available channel count to over 70.

Although $50/month isn't exactly unreasonable for what YouTube TV offers, it's now significantly more expensive than it was on launch. It's tough to say whether or not the service's long-term subscribers will consider the new channels to be a fair trade-off, especially if they have no interest in the extras to begin with.

Permalink to story.

I'm a Youtube partner with over 55,000 subs.

I REFUSE to pay for Youtube RED.

I REFUSE to pay them extra for "TV"

If they want me to have it they should either "give" it to me since I bring them more than 500,000 views a month, or...

Take it out of my income share.

But I refuse to "pay you" for a service I should already be entitled to.

In fact: they should be using free RED access as an incintive to get Youtubers to build their channels to more than 10,000 subs.

I wasn't interested when it was $35.

If they want me to have it they should either "give" it to me since I bring them more than 500,000 views a month, or...

Not to be a jerk, but if you left Youtube and hosted your videos from your own website, would those 500k monthly views follow you?

While I can't comment about the service, I will comment about the price. This is a substantial price increase. "Cutting the cord" is supposed to reduce the monthly bill. This costs as much or more of regular cable TV bill. If we have to subscribe to multiple services, then the point (at least for me) is lost as it costs many times more.

In fact: they should be using free RED access as an incintive to get Youtubers to build their channels to more than 10,000 subs.

What's your channel? Highly doubt you have that many subscribers.

You are suggesting that he completely make up his occupation and details about it in order to complain about it. Usually people lie about their job to brag, not to complain. That is not logically sound.

I've seen QuantumPhysics make multiple posts referencing that very same occupation so he's either weaving a very long and good lie or that's his actual job. I'm going to say it's the latter.

In any case your doubt doesn't really help anything here.

Yeah and now they are running their own private TV commercials back to back which causing streaming issues and often cuts off the channel I'm watching. Guess it's time to switch again but I'll have to do a bit of research because they used to be #1 ...... oh well .....

I absolutely have MORE than 55,000 subs.

If you don't recognize me then you must not be a fan.

My computer rig and laptops are my profile pic and they are on my channel.

Lol, Ive been using Yourube TV for a few months now, Motortrend was the one channel I missed most since dumping comcast so this is a welcome addition for me. Hopefully im grandfathered in at the old $39.99 price but I honesrly dont mind the $10 hike

Go look at what Directv Now recently did to their tiers if you want to real price hikes. Omg its awful

If you tell us your channel then we'll know you're telling the truth and you'll get more subs. It's a win-win situation.

All these services popping up charging stupid prices is just going to force people back to piracy.... Steam saw a big drop in gaming piracy and so did Netflix for movies and TV shows.

Now that content is going to be scattered across a dozen or more individual services people are just going to pirate what they want instead of paying for a ton of **** they don't want...

While I can't comment about the service, I will comment about the price. This is a substantial price increase. "Cutting the cord" is supposed to reduce the monthly bill. This costs as much or more of regular cable TV bill. If we have to subscribe to multiple services, then the point (at least for me) is lost as it costs many times more.

The return to piracy! Just wait and see. They finally got a handle on it with Steam and Netflix bringing it down over the years. In Australia especially.

I'll believe it when you tell us your channel, otherwise you're talking bollocks.

PM me your channel.

Last edited:
NETFLIX raised their prices twice in one year, Amazon has raised their price on Prime Video now this......................... EIther the economy is doing well in America or companies are too greedy and over confident. I cancelled NETFLIX and will with Amazon since I use CINEMA APP on my FireStick. No point to have those services and I'm tight on money.

Funny enough I bought HULU on black Friday for $1 a month for 12 months. I use to hate HULU but I'm impressed within the few months of having it.

The return to piracy! Just wait and see. They finally got a handle on it with Steam and Netflix bringing it down over the years. In Australia especially.

Not for me. I do my best to not steal. I don't have any new movies at all, well at least from hollywood. The last one was The Martian when it was released to blu-ray.

I bought several Christian movies about a year ago. They don't use that copy protection crap, so that was a warm welcome.

No wonder you're on YouTube so much. The entitlement is real.

I only subscribe to these online streaming providers if I can choose my own preferred channels...

To be fair to the providers, a minimum of 10 channels per month; at the cost of $1 per channel per month with ability to change the channels as needed...I dare any one of them offer such package!

Back