yshortcut.dll is killing IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denise Plaskett

I am having the same problem as I see others have had but I'm not sure how to fix it. After IE first comes up, any time I enter a new web address an error message incriminating yshortcut.dll pops up. If I close the error message, IE disappears. I've tried some of the suggestions like delete Yahoo Toolbar from Add/Remove programs and run massive virus scans on my computer in safe mode, but nothing has worked yet. Please help. It is quite annoying. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read the Trojan Pakes and other nasties preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as an attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Denise Plaskett only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Problem fixed

I did all of the cleanup that you recommended and the problem is fixed now. Attached are my logs in case you want to look through them and see if there are any other issues.

Thanks for your support!

Your HJT log is clean.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Denise Plaskett only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Problem occurred again

After I thought the problem was all cleared up, it came again. This problem is on my daughter's laptop. As long as she brings up IE and doesn't log into her Yahoo account, she can go from web site to web site by entering the URL at the top. However, when she logs into her Yahoo account to look at her email, then any subsequent websites she tries to go to by entering the URL at the top causes the error message to occur that indicates the yshortcut.dll is at fault. As before, if she closes this error message, IE aborts and closes out. So typically she just drags the error message off to the edge of the screen and continues on with her work. She does not have this problem if she accesses her email from my desktop machine.

Is the problem somewhere in her Yahoo account profile? How do I go about clearing this up?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Try uninstalling the Yahoo toolbar via add remove programmes in the control panel and see if that helps.

Let me know the results please

I uninstalled Yahoo Toolbar from the Add/Remove programs list and still have the problem when using her account. I even rebooted the lap top and the problem remains.

What next?

Please post a fresh HJT log.

EDIT: Just found this info HERE. It may be of help to you.

I'm attaching the HJT log that we created a couple of weeks ago right after we rediscovered the problem. However, I don't think you'll need it. Using the info you just found, I went to the C:\Program Files\Yahoo\Common folder and moved the yshortcut.dll out of there and into another directory (to save it in case we need it in the future). I then checked for the problem and it is gone. So I think we are OK for now.

Thanks for your help.

That`s good news.

Just to confirm, your HJT log is clean.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back