WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. We like to say that WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
The core software is built by hundreds of community volunteers, and when you’re ready for more there are thousands of plugins and themes available to transform your site into almost anything you can imagine. Over 25 million people have chosen WordPress to power the place on the web they call “home” — we’d love you to join the family.
This release features a lightning fast redesigned linking workflow which makes it easy to link to your existing posts and pages, an admin bar so you’re never more than a click away from your most-used dashboard pages, a streamlined writing interface that hides many of the seldom-used panels by default to create a simpler and less intimidating writing experience for new bloggers (visit Screen Options in the top right to get old panels back), and a refreshed blue admin scheme available for selection under your personal options.
There’s a bucket of candy for developers as well, including our new Post Formats support which makes it easy for themes to create portable tumblelogs with different styling for different types of posts, new CMS capabilities like archive pages for custom content types, a new Network Admin, an overhaul of the import and export system, and the ability to perform advanced taxonomy and custom fields queries.
From the WordPress 4.8.1 release post: WordPress 4.8.1 contains 29 maintenance fixes and enhancements to the 4.8 release series, chief among them are fixes to the rich Text widget and the introduction of the Custom HTML widget.
- #40982 - Permalink Settings: custom structure field keyboard trap
- #41327 - Bump Akismet External - 4.9 Edition
- #40975 - 'Empty Spam' and 'Empty Trash' comment buttons not displayed on mobile
- #40978 - Customizer Panel Footer border missing
- #40981 - Customizer: Menus: it is far too easy to mistakenly delete a menu because the "Delete Menu" link and the "Add Items" button are too close together
- #41158 - Increase tinymce panel z-index
- #41410 - Set `'filter' => 'content'` on starter content "business info" widget
- #41019 - oEmbed: Update VideoPress oEmbed URL
- #41048 - `WP_oEmbed_Controller::get_proxy_item()` should remove `_wpnonce` from cached `$args`
- #41299 - oEmbed proxy fails to forward maxwidth and maxheight params
- #41056 - WP-API JS Client: Settings is incorrectly registered as a collection
- #41231 - media-views.js: Cannot read .length of undefined (this.controller.$uploaderToggler.length)
- #38964 - Add filter to allow modifying response *after* embedded data is added
- #40886 - REST API: PUT requests fail on Nginx servers when fancy permalinks aren't enabled
- #41010 - wp_get_object_terms() returns duplicate terms if more than one taxonomy is given in args
- #41408 - TinyMCE: Images with link and caption look "broken" when selected
- #40907 - Introduce widget dedicated for HTML code
- #40935 - Facebook Video Works On Preview But Not On Theme
- #40951 - New Text Widget - Switching Between Visual/Text Editor Strips Out Code
- #40960 - Widgets: The Text widget should respect the “Disable the visual editor when writing” setting
- #40972 - TinyMCE editor in Text widget does not have RTL contents
- #40974 - Updated text widget do not save text (when using paste)
- #40977 - Widgets: Query param for `loop` added for non-hosted external videos
- #40986 - Widgets: text widget and media widgets cannot be edited in accessibility mode
- #41021 - Text widget does not show Title field or TinyMCE editor
- #41361 - Text widget can raise JS error if customize-base is enqueued on widgets admin screen
- #41386 - Text Widget - Wording - Legacy Mode 4.8.1 beta
- #41392 - Theme styles for Text widget do not apply to Custom HTML widget
- #41394 - Text widget: Rename legacy mode to visual mode and improve back-compat for widget_text filters
Apps similar to WordPress 3
Popular powerful content management system.
Contentteller is a powerful Content Management System written in the PHP scripting language and designed for high traffic websites. It comes with 20 modules and supports multiple websites in the same database out of the box.
Open source content management platform powering millions of websites and applications.