ImageMagick is free software: it is delivered with full source code and can be freely used, copied, modified and distributed. Its license is compatible with the GPL. It runs on all major operating systems.
Most of the functionality of ImageMagick can be used interactively from the command line; more often, however, the features are used from programs written in the programming languages Perl, C, C++, Python, PHP, Ruby, Tcl/Tk or Java, for which ready-made ImageMagick interfaces (PerlMagick, Magick++, PythonMagick, MagickWand for PHP, RMagick, TclMagick, and JMagick) are available. This makes it possible to modify or create images automatically and dynamically.
ImageMagick supports many image formats (over 90 major formats) including popular formats like TIFF, JPEG, PNG, PDF, PhotoCD, and GIF.
- Convert an image from one format to another (e.g. PNG to JPEG)
- Resize, rotate, sharpen, color reduce, or add special effects to an image
- Create a montage of image thumbnails
- Create a transparent image suitable for use on the Web
- Turn a group of images into a GIF animation sequence
- Create a composite image by combining several separate image
- Draw shapes or text on an image
- Decorate an image with a border or frame
- Describe the format and characteristics of an image.