HandBrake is a free and open source tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs. HandBrake is a cross-platform application, available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Is HandBrake a video editor?
HandBrake can crop and resize videos as well as restore old and low-quality videos, but for more powerful editing tools you can try DaVinci Resolve, Shotcut or VSDC Free Video Editor, which are great free options.
Can you use HandBrake to rip DVDs?
Yes, HandBrake can rip any DVD or Blu-Ray discs that are not copy protected.
Can HandBrake compress 4K videos?
Yes, HandBrake can compress any 4K video to reduce video size, while converting the video format at the same time.
Is Handbrake better than FFmpeg?
Both HandBrake and FFmpeg are free and open source, both are compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux, and both can convert video files. The difference is that Handbrake uses a GUI (graphical user interface) to convert media files, while FFmpeg uses the command line to encode or decode video files. In fact, Handbrake uses FFmpeg internally for conversion. Another difference is that Handbrake supports DVD and Blu-Ray video as input, while FFmpeg does not. Also, Handbrake only offers MKV and MP4 output, while FFmpeg supports many video output formats.
One of HandBrake's strengths is its ability to open a wide variety of video formats. HandBrake uses FFmpeg under the hood and generally can open whatever FFmpeg will, in addition to disc-based formats like DVD and Blu-ray. HandBrake does not defeat or circumvent copy protection of any kind. It does not work with video files employing Digital Rights Management (DRM).
HandBrake's software video encoders, video filters, audio encoders, and other processes benefit from fast CPU and memory. HandBrake's hardware video encoders also benefit from modern GPU hardware.
Built-in Device Presets
Get started with HandBrake in seconds by choosing a profile optimised for your device, or choose a universal profile for standard or high quality conversions. Simple, easy, fast. For those that want more choice, tweak many basic and advanced options to improve your encodes.
Supported Input Sources
Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or Blu Ray sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
- Video Encoders: H.265 (x265 and QuickSync), H.264(x264 and QuickSync), H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8, VP9 and Theora
- Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks
Even more features
- Title / chapter and range selection
- Batch Scan and Queueing of encodes
- Chapter Markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Constant Quality or Average Bitrate Video Encoding
- Support for VFR and CFR
- Video Filters: Deinterlacing, Decomb, Denoise, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and scaling
- Live Static and Video Preview
Latest 1.6.1 Release Notes:
- Fixed a potential decoder issue that could cause desync with audio (#4788, #4789)
Command line interface
- Fixed inability to name external subtitles tracks using --subname
- Fixed behavior of quality slider when changing encoders
- Fixed translations missing updates as part of 1.6.0 (#4790)
- Bulgarian ('ългарски)
- Corsican (Corsu)
- Dutch (Nederlands)
- German (Deutsch)
- Spanish (Español)
- Fixed (partially) Intel QSV hardware detection (#4768)
- Fixed a potential crash when canceling an Intel QSV encode (#4341)
- Fixed building with -Werror=format-security by adding missing format strings where needed
- Fixed quality slider not allowing negative values for encoders supporting them
- Fixed issues upgrading presets from older versions (#4820)
- Fixed a potential graphical interface hang when stopping the queue (#4782)
- Fixed optical disc drives on the source selection pane not scanning correctly (#4771)
- Fixed erroneous display of 2-pass check box for Intel QSV AV1 encoder (not yet supported) (#4777)
- Fixed a build configuration issue that broke version 1.6.0 for Windows on arm64
- Fixed an issue that prevented NVDEC from being available
- Fixed passthru audio erroneously falling back to encoding (#4795)
- Fixed the Save New Preset button incorrectly overwriting recently added presets (#4804)
Beta version updated to 20230113
Handbrake is featured in...
Software similar to Handbrake 10
Take videos from your computer or downloaded from the Internet and converts them into just about any format.
The video editor is intended for editing video files and creating videos of any complexity involving various visual and audio effects.
Format Factory is a multifunctional media converter.
- Ad Supported
XMedia Recode is a free video and audio converter. XMedia Recode supports nearly all audio and video codecs.
More similar downloads