Tor Browser 12.0.6
Protect your privacy and defend yourself against network surveillance and traffic analysis.
Similar to 20
Tor is a network of virtual tunnels that allows people and groups to improve their privacy and security on the Internet. It also enables software developers to create new communication tools with built-in privacy features.
How does the Tor Browser keep my internet activity anonymous?
The Tor Browser uses the Tor network, which consists of more than six thousand relays located worldwide, to hide the users' location and online traffic. This ensures anonymity and avoids your activities from being seen by others.
What is Tor Browser?
The Tor Browser is the flagship product from the Tor Project. The web browser is based on a modified version of Mozilla Firefox ESR that includes extras like the Tor proxy, TorButton, TorLauncher, NoScript, and HTTPS Everywhere extensions.
Who uses the Tor Browser?
With Tor Browser having made Tor more accessible to everyday internet users and activists, Tor was an instrumental tool during the Arab Spring beginning in late 2010. It not only protected people's identity online but also allowed them to access critical resources, social media, and websites which were blocked.
Individuals use Tor to keep websites from tracking them and their family members, or to connect to news sites, instant messaging services, or the like when these are blocked by their local Internet providers. Tor's hidden services let users publish web sites and other services without needing to reveal the location of the site. Individuals also use Tor for socially sensitive communication: chat rooms and web forums for rape and abuse survivors, or people with illnesses.
Journalists use Tor to communicate more safely with whistleblowers and dissidents. Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) use Tor to allow their workers to connect to their home website while they're in a foreign country, without notifying everybody nearby that they're working with that organization.
Groups such as Indymedia recommend Tor for safeguarding their members' online privacy and security. Activist groups like the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) recommend Tor as a mechanism for maintaining civil liberties online. Corporations use Tor as a safe way to conduct competitive analysis, and to protect sensitive procurement patterns from eavesdroppers. They also use it to replace traditional VPNs, which reveal the exact amount and timing of communication. Which locations have employees working late? Which locations have employees consulting job-hunting websites? Which research divisions are communicating with the company's patent lawyers?
A branch of the U.S. Navy uses Tor for open source intelligence gathering, and one of its teams used Tor while deployed in the Middle East recently. Law enforcement uses Tor for visiting or surveilling web sites without leaving government IP addresses in their web logs, and for security during sting operations.
Is Tor better than a VPN?
Tor is not a VPN. Tor is a free browser similar to Chrome or Firefox, but it includes features that encrypt your IP address, making your browsing sessions private. A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is software that can change your IP address when you use any browser installed on your PC. To learn more about VPNs, you can read this article.
This release updates Firefox to 102.9.0esr, including bug fixes, stability improvements and important security updates. We also backported the Android-specific security updates from Firefox 111.
We use this opportunity to update various components of Tor Browser as well:
- NoScript 11.4.18
- Updated Translations
- Updated NoScript to 11.4.18
- Bug tor-browser#41598: Prevent NoScript from being removed / disabled until core functionality has been migrated to Tor Browser
- Bug tor-browser#41603: Customize the creation of MOZ_SOURCE_URL
- Bug tor-browser#41627: Enable network.http.referer.hideOnionSource in base-browser
- Bug tor-browser#41637: cherry-pick Mozilla 1814416: Generalize the app name in about:buildconfig. r=ahochheiden
- Bug tor-browser#41659: Add canonical color definitions to base-browser
- Bug tor-browser#41669: Rebase Tor Browser stable to 102.9.0esr
Windows + macOS + Linux
- Updated Firefox to 102.9esr
- Bug tor-browser#41542: Disable the creation of a default profile
- Bug tor-browser#41574: Use --warning-color variable for the "Custom" label in the security level popup.
- Bug tor-browser#41606: Move the changes to the hamburger menu out of the Torbutton commit
- Bug tor-browser#41626: Bridge-emojii tooltips not localized in ES locale
- Updated GeckoView to 102.9esr
- Bug tor-browser#41679: Backport Android-specific security fixes from Firefox 111 to ESR 102.9-based Tor Browser
- Build SystemAll Platforms
- Updated Go to 1.19.7
- Bug tor-browser-build#40764: Embed repo URL and git revision in Firefox
- Bug tor-browser-build#40782: Update tools/signing/download-unsigned-sha256sums-gpg-signatures-from-people-tpo to fetch from tb-build-04 and tb-build-05
- Bug tor-browser-build#40790: Fix dmg2mar after dmg changes from #28124
- Bug tor-browser-build#40791: tools/dmg2mar should exit with an error when there is an error creating the mar file
- Bug tor-browser-build#40789: Broken mirror links for glean: link 404 for version 5.0.1 hosted at aguestuser's tor people storage
Software similar to Tor Browser 20
Tor Browser is the only official mobile browser supported by the Tor Project, developers of the world's strongest tool for privacy and freedom online.
Tor Browser for Android is the only official mobile browser supported by the Tor Project, developers of the world's strongest tool for privacy and freedom online.
Opera introduces the looks and the performance of a total new and exceptional web browser.
Connect to the world on the browser built by Google
More similar downloads