With these tools one can get information about (mkvinfo) Matroska files, extract tracks/data from (mkvextract) Matroska files and create (mkvmerge) Matroska files from other media files. Matroska is a new multimedia file format aiming to become THE new container format for the future. You can find more information about it and its underlying technology, the Extensible Binary Meta Language (EBML), at http://www.matroska.org/
New features and enhancements
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: Windows: using UNC paths (e.g. \\server\Videos) when the option "automatically set the destination file name" was set in the preferences, the GUI would create a destination file name with forward slashes (e.g. //server/Videos/outputfile.mkv), a syntax not supported by mkvmerge. Fixes #2533 & #2534.
- build system: the programs were accidentally built without stack protection (-fstack-protector-strong) on recent versions of gcc and clang.
- mkvinfo: when sizes are output the size of the element’s data portion is output in addition to the element’s total size.
- MKVToolNix GUI: info tool: the element’s data portion is shown as an extra column.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: added column "Delay" to the track list containing the additional delay to apply during multiplexing. Implements #2506.
- mkvinfo: when using the --size option, mkvinfo will now report the correctly if an element has an unknown size. Part of the fix of #2530.
- MKVToolNix GUI: info tool: clusters with an unknown size will now be read and displayed correctly. Part of the fix of #2530.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: Windows: trying to open Blu-ray index or playlist files failed when the path to the files contained symbolic links (e.g. when mounting a drive in a sub-folder via Windows’ disk management utility). Fixes #2522.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: if a destination file names ends with a number in parenthesis (e.g. a year such as "(2017)"), that number will not be stripped anymore during the process of ensuring the destination file name is unique. Only those suffixes added automatically in prior attempts to make the file name unique will be removed. Fixes #2521.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: Windows: the GUI will let the user change the drive letter part of the destination file name freely again and only verify its validity right before starting to mux/adding to the job queue. Before it tried to force that into something valid, often resulting in unintentional paths (such as "C:\users\…\DC\files\…"). Fixes #2527.
Build system changes
- libEBML v1.3.7 and libMatroska 1.5.0 are now required as they fix their handling of Unicode code points > U+FFFF (see #2516).