World-class code editing, debugging, performance tooling, a flexible build system, and an instant build/deploy system all allow you to focus on building unique and high quality apps.
Push code and resource changes to your app running on a device or emulator and see the changes instantly come to life. Instant Run dramatically speeds up your edit, build, and run cycles, keeping you "in the flow."
Intelligent code editor
Write better code, work faster, and be more productive with an intelligent code editor that helps you each step of the way. Android Studio is built on IntelliJ and is capable of advanced code completion, refactoring, and code analysis.
Fast and feature-rich emulator
Install and run your apps faster than with a physical device and test your app on virtually any Android device configuration: Android phones, Android tablets, Android Wear, and Android TV devices. The new Android Emulator 2.0 is faster than ever and allows you to dynamically resize the emulator and access a suite of sensor controls.
Robust and flexible build system
Easily configure your project to include code libraries and generate multiple build variants from a single project. With Gradle, Android Studio offers high-performance build automation, robust dependency management, and customizable build configurations.
Android Studio 3.6.2 is now available in the Stable channel.
If you already have an Android Studio build on the Stable channel, you can get the update by clicking Help > Check for Update (Android Studio > Check for Updates on macOS). Otherwise, you can download here.
This minor update includes various bug fixes and performance improvements:
Android Gradle Plugin
- Issue #143402226: Paths in different JDKs warnings swapped
- Issue #142608498: AS forgets selected build variant
- Issue #147609508: Data Binding not resolving the binding class for layouts in different sourceSet
- Issue #128599052: IDE becomes sluggish while trying to use eye dropper tool from color picker dialog
- Issue #149045341: Very long sync times when consuming a custom configuration
- Issue #124680708: Git Push Crashes from IDE
- Issue #150506104: Lint failure when upgrading to 3.6.x
- Issue #147972078: 4.0.0-alpha08 - java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot create an instance of class ViewModel
- Issue #144437165: ServiceLoaderRewriter not working for multiple services.
- Issue #146534384: `NoSuchMethodException: parameter type is null` moshi with R8
- Issue #149890887: NPE in MemberRebindingAnalysis.firstLibraryClassForInterfaceTarget
- Issue #148929520: IllegalArgumentException: Multiple entries with same key: Method $$ServiceLoaderMethods.$load0
- Issue #150274427: RET should be handled by the ASM jsr inliner
- Issue #149729626: R8 full mode removes constructors kept by Proguard
- Issue #149554602: The R8 1.6.X 2.0.X compile project crashed,it looks like a bug form CodeRewriter.java(EnumValueOptimizer.java)
- Issue #150688800: "NullPointerException during IR Conversion" with gradle plugin 3.6.1
- Issue #150325706: R8 failed after upgrading to AGP v3.6.0
- Issue #150330356: NullPointerException during IR Conversion with android-gradle-plugin 3.6.0
- Issue #148341176: Android Studio using out of date sources to run tests
- Issue #144788300: "Test framework quit unexpectedly" after running Espresso tests in Studio 3.6
- Issue #150405777: Add modification tracker for view binding enabled / disabled