MPlayer is a movie player which runs on many systems (see the documentation). It plays most MPEG/VOB, AVI, Ogg/OGM, VIVO, ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4, RealMedia, Matroska, NUT, NuppelVideo, FLI, YUV4MPEG, FILM, RoQ, PVA files, supported by many native, XAnim, and Win32 DLL codecs. You can watch VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, DivX 3/4/5, WMV and even H.264 movies.
Another great feature of MPlayer is the wide range of supported output drivers. It works with X11, Xv, DGA, OpenGL, SVGAlib, fbdev, AAlib, DirectFB, but you can use GGI, SDL (and this way all their drivers), VESA (on every VESA compatible card, even without X11!) and some low level card-specific drivers (for Matrox, 3Dfx and ATI), too! Most of them support software or hardware scaling, so you can enjoy movies in fullscreen. MPlayer supports displaying through some hardware MPEG decoder boards, such as the Siemens DVB, DXR2 and DXR3/Hollywood+.
MPlayer has an onscreen display (OSD) for status information, nice big antialiased shaded subtitles and visual feedback for keyboard controls. European/ISO 8859-1,2 (Hungarian, English, Czech, etc), Cyrillic and Korean fonts are supported along with 12 subtitle formats (MicroDVD, SubRip, OGM, SubViewer, Sami, VPlayer, RT, SSA, AQTitle, JACOsub, PJS and our own: MPsub). DVD subtitles (SPU streams, VOBsub and Closed Captions) are supported as well.
GUI: Changes towards removing the GUI
- The GUI will no longer display any error or warning messages.
- Special GUI slave commands (gui_*) were removed, along with the related key bindings.
- YUY2 Lossless Codec (YLC0) via binary DLL
- Truemotion RT codec (TR20) via binary DLL
- Nogantech Codec (NTN1 and NTN2) via binary DLL
- add new FourCCs (m1v1, yuvs, VYUY, Y42B, V422, YUNV, UYNV, UYNY, uyv1, 2Vu1, P422, HDYC, IJLV, MVJP) TwoCCs (0xA106, 0x6c75, 0xAAC0, 0x55005354) to existing decoders
- AMR now handled via OpenCORE decoder
- updated Windows Media Screen Codec (MSS1, MSS2) via binary DLL
- CoreAVC H.264 decoder via binary DLL (Windows only)
- Kega Game video codec (KGV1) via binary DLL
- SoftLab-NSK Forward MPEG-2 I-frames (SLIF) via binary DLL
- JPEG 2000 support via OpenJPEG
- internal liba52 copy removed
- CineForm HD (CFHD) via binary DLL
- VP8 en-/decoding through libvpx wrapper and native decoder in FFmpeg
- support for external libmpeg2 added
- hardware MPEG decoder priority lowered
- external libmpg123 support
- Mostly fixed timing issues with some H.264 (PAFF) samples
- Matroska and Ogg demuxers switched to use libavformat by default. Report issues and use -demuxer ogg and -demuxer mkv to work around them.
- support for TrueHD in Blu-ray streams in libmpdemux
- more Blu-ray codec support with lavf
- fix length in ASF/WMV files
- support ISDB-Tb DVB streams
- remove vf_yuy2, functionality is replaced by -vf format=yuv2
- remove vfrgb2bgr, functionality is replaced by sws and vfformat
- Support for unencrypted Blu-ray playback through libbluray. Use it through: mplayer br:////path/to/disc
- -vo yuv4mpeg:interlaced no longer does its own interlaced RGB->YUV conversion. Use -vf scale=::1 to keep the same behavior and report if there are any issues with that.
- X11: Window manager chooses Window position by default. Add geometry=50%:50% to your configuration to get the old behavior.
- -vo md5sum md5 calculation changed so output matches FFmpeg's -f framemd5
- Support for more formats in OpenGL video output drivers (different YUV subsampling, 16 bit per component)
- Selectable YUV to RGB conversion standard for -vo gl (-vo gl:colorspace=...:levelconv=...)
- -vo gl now tries to use yuv=2 by default if possible
- -vo gl:stereo=... for experimental stereo (3D) support
- -vo matrixview finally added
- add OS/2 KAI audio driver (-ao kai)
- -nosub option for disabling auto-selected subtitles
- support for displaying subs in the terminal (FIXME)
- support for subtitles with audio-only files
- support for right-to-left languages with embedded subtitles
- support for UTF-16 encoded external subtitles
- support for 8 channel audio
- sync dvd:// and dvdnav:// features
- support for MPEG-4 ASP in VDPAU video output (non-B-frame only)
- support for live and non-live DVB teletext with demuxer lavf
- -name, -title and -use-filename-title options for MPlayer
- support for stream handling via FFmpeg, in particular RTMP and RTSP (use e.g. ffmpeg://https://example.com/test)
- experimental support for external libass, pass '-disable-ass-internal' to configure
- better support for 16-bit-per-component formats and formats with alpha channel
- better out-of-the-box support for compiling for ARM, IA64, MinGW32 and MinGW-w64, MinGW has ASLR enabled with recent enough binutils
- libdvdcss synced with upstream Subversion snapshot