Windows Xp Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiway

This is strange one.. I reinstalled and activated windows xp about six months ago. Now for the last few days after I log on, a window pops in with a message, "you have 7 days to activate your windows, do you want to activate now" with two options yes or no either of which does nothing. Pressing 'yes' opens activation window with this message 'windows is already activated' while 'No' does nothing. This happens at very startup now. Any ideas whats gone wrong?

Try this link: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/rd...en&sGuid=671e450e-9bcc-4e74-9ff7-9152832b3f6e

If it doesn't help try this one: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...77-cfa1-47bd-b325-7a6d3893add8&displaylang=en

It sounds as though your firewall is stopping MS confirming that you are activated.
Try disabling your firewall (temporarily) whilst activating online again.

To check your activation status, click Start , point to All Programs , point to Accessories , point to System Tools , and then click Activate Windows

Please let me know of the outcome.

Thanks kimsland. I will let you know. But one thing I do not have any 'activate windows' link that you referred to. (start/all programs/accessories/system tools/)
Installed os from oem cd xp pro.

Just been through one of your recommended links it says:

Validation Complete!Thank you for validating your copy of Microsoft Windows.

Thank you for using the Windows Genuine Advantage program. You may now access resources for genuine Windows users.

Thanks kimsland. You can see the result of oobe/msoobe /a here. But still have same reminder at startup, after I login.

A non legitamit version of Windows can do this
What happens is, you get 30days of usage and then Windows stops allowing log in

Is it possible this version is non genuine?

Other than that try Start--> Run--> %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe

It will try to confirm activation and continue on.
If it does not activate, I would backup immediately, and then re-install Windows

Thanks kimsland. I appreciate your help.
I personally bought this cd from a best buy store in Chicago. I think there is no doubt about it ingenuinty, I have been using it for a long time. As for your suggestion (running '%SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe'), it takes me directly to windows update page, which is otherwise accessable by typing www.windowsupdate.com in browsers' address bar. Meanwhile let me remind you that this message pops after I am logged on, and when I press yes (ie go on and get my windows activated) 'windows is already activated' is displayed. It appears there is some registry string responsible for this behaviour and needs tweaking. Which one, I don't know.

Yes but by going to wupdmgr.exe, you are forcing MS to confirm activation
I wanted to know if you were able to get past the confirmation of activation, basically WGA, that is automatically installed on running Windows Update

Also yes I know some registry hacks for removing this activation message.
But it may stop your computer from logging in again !
Therefore, I believe the backup, and Clean Install of Windows is wisest.

I tell you what, after backing up fully, go to Safe mode and try this legitamit command in the run field:
rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk (and click OK)
(note: one space, after "rundll32.exe " also the Oo are two letter o's in "oobe"; capitals and comma are important)

Warning: Do not attempt this command on a Normal working, activated version of Windows, as it may stop you from logging into Normal mode again.

But, this will try to reset the activation for you, be prepared to install Windows again if un-successfull

Thanks sir, I will let you know the results. By the way I frequently go to windows update website. My automaic update is enabled too. I never had any problem downloading microsoft softwares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back