Online music getting more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
A new story over at AZCentral (found via /.) points out the changes lately seen at online music stores, newer albums are being sold at higher prices sometimes even matching or surpassing those from the actual physical CD.

I won't agree with their opinions though, 'the future of online music prices', I can bet the online community will be harder to convince to pay more for an already overpriced media/product, the online music business model won't work the way the Recording Industry (especially them) expects... all my hopes rest on that.

For months, digital-music services have been touting albums for $9.99 to entice more people to buy online. But Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes Music Store has been charging $16.99 for "Fly or Die," while Roxio Inc.'s Napster service sells the 12-song collection for $13.99. Both prices are higher than the $13.49 that Amazon.com charges for the CD itself. The same pricing shifts are showing up on albums by a growing slate of artists, from Shakira to Bob Dylan.

If online music cost just as much or more then a CD then I would just rather purchase the CD at least I might get some cool cover art

I dont know why you'd get a cd online if its the same price as it costs in a store :confused:

It's the idea of mixing songs that I think they are trying to sell.

Personally, I think $0.99 a song (as some music services charge) is a joke.

I suppose a song you like really is worth a buck.. I mean, you'll probably listen to it again and again and I'm sure most of us would pay a dollar for musical enjoyment.

But comparatively to CDs, you don't actually get a physical product.

pay more for a music album in a lossly audio format (aac, wma, mp3) than for the better sounding, physical cd. omg the record industry is really dumb.

I'm drunk, but I think the reason they sell these songs for so much cash is they don't want to undermine their existing physical CD products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back