Vista updates KB946041 and KB947821 broken. SP1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerex

KB946041=A
KB947821=B

Windows updates keeps on trying to install A, but the installation never completes. I tried installing it manually but at the end it goes
Some updates were not installed

The following updates were not installed
Update for Windows (KB946041)

Windows update also continually installs B, sucessfully, even though it's already installed. I tried manually, it said "this update does not apply to your system" which is the normal thing if an update is already installed.

I tried contacting Support, but ya have ta pay 59$, so it's a last last last resort, after reinstalling the entire system. Well, say bye bye to my dreams of SP1. :'(

Are you getting the updates automatically downloaded and installed? If so, I strongly recommend you stop! Change to either 'download but don't install' or 'don't download or install, notify me'. Then when you're ready, use the Custom install feature. This allows you to check the content of each update and see if you need it, if it's appropriate for your system and if you want it.

Contrary to what the company would have us believe, ALL updates aren't needed, necessary or even in some cases, appropriate. I hear more and more about the included updates being for programs users don't have.

Two people recently were sent update for Office- neither had Office on their systems. Is this what you're referring to? Most forums I visit have this kind of story- auto update sent through the Windows Updates for programs they didn't have.

I "always" discourage using auto update for anything except the anti-virus program. I firmly believe the user should be in control of their system and not give carte blanche to any company to put information on their systems without their knowledge and permission. Every hijack this log I look at has auto Java, auto Real Player, auto Adobe and on and on.

These are "reliability" updates. I don't realyl notice them, but here's something very important: You only notice the bad things. For example: Buy a computer and notice all the trial software and junk, then freak out. You DON'T notice how quiet the computer is because of fanless cooling.

WTH? Today, I deleted the "download" folder in SoftwareDistribution, refreshed my update list, and KB946041 was gone, and there was SP1 for vista! However, Vista Sp1 update had the same error, 800B0100

Sorry, on 4/12/08, I completly reinstalled Vista. It's pretty nice since all my old files were still there and I just had to click and drag to get all my documents from windows.old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back